1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New Cab Day incoming...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by generation zero, Mar 7, 2014.

1. generation zero

generation zero

Just ordered a new Mesa Powerhouse 1200 cab, the one with 4 10s and a 15 in one housing... Got a great deal from Sweetwater since it had been returned, so they had to sell it as "used". Practically brand new, full warranty, and saved almost $200! Shipping out today, should have it next week, hopefully Tuesday or Wednesday. Super stoked... that's piece 2 of my 3 piece gear puzzle. Currently, I now have a PRS Grainger 5 (with a Gibson Les Paul bass as a backup) running into a Mesa Carbine M3 with a pair of Hartke TP cabs. (1x15, 4x10.) Now the "weak link" is the head, which I will be upgrading to a Strategy as soon as I get the cab paid down enough to make room on the Sweetwater card, LOL... The M3 should make a suitable backup head for touring. Then it's just a matter of getting another 5 string or two, and I should be set for a while. Until PRS comes out with another bass model, at least... LOL! :)

Here's the link to the cab I got, in case some of you aren't familiar with it:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PHCab1200/

2. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny Supporting Member

You realize you'll have to register that rig as a WMD?

3. generation zero

generation zero

LOL... Yeah, fully aware. :D

4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

So you paid ~$1400 for that? :meh:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. generation zero

generation zero

Yup. Seen them used for around 1,000, but I wouldn't have been able to use my Sweetwater card. I'm okay with the price, I would have paid the $1600. I've been nothing but pleased with every Mesa product I've ever encountered, I have no reason to expect less from this cab. :bassist:

7. CL400Peavey

SW has several other big mesa cabs for sale, 412 and the 810, for less than that. They would have been my choice over the powerhouse.

8. generation zero

generation zero

Yeah, I was on the fence between the 4x12 and the one I got, but I went with the PH based partially on appearance, and partially because I have actually played on one and liked it. I'm sure the 4x12 is great too, but I like the shorter, wider stance of the 1x15/4x10 over the taller skinnier look of the 4x12, plus I don't know how I feel about 12s for bass. Probably fine, but as a guitarist as well, I associate 12s with guitar cabs. In actuality, I may end up splitting my signal between the bass rig and my Roadster/4x12 guitar rig for the grit... I know a guy locally who has a similar setup that just kills live.

9. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Oh boy. I'm sorry I came into this thread. Hope you enjoy the cab, OP, and hope that the 15 lasts...

10. CL400Peavey

The Mesa 412 and 810 are great cabs if you can handle the weight of the cabs.

11. blowinblue

blowinblue official non-user of Fender and Ampeg Supporting Member

Why kill the buzz? Let the man enjoy his purchase and sharing about it.

M. M.

12. generation zero

generation zero

Won't hurt my feelings, I've got pretty thick skin. Not a whole ton of love out there for PRS or Gibson Les Paul basses overall either, but I don't buy gear because other people like it. ;)

Thanks for getting my back though! :)

As for the 15 lasting, I have five years worth of warranty on my side that says it will. If not, I get a new one. So no worries here on that front... Again, I have yet to have any issue with anything I've ever gotten with a Mesa logo on the front of it, and that's close to $10,000 worth of gear. I'm pretty confident it will be the last cabinet I ever have to buy. Probably not the last one I ever WILL buy, just the last one I'll NEED, lol! ("Need" is a relative term... in all honesty I could easily get by with a 2x10, but it's all about rock and roll, right? :D )