1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New Cab to Pair w/ SD800

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by blastbear100, Feb 5, 2013.

1. blastbear100

blastbear100

Hi guys,
    So I just sold my Ampeg SVT 410hlf (too boomy) and now I'm lookin for a cab (or cabs) that can handle around the same power/volume, but with punchier low-mids and is a little lighter (<75 lbs). I mostly just play at semi-big churches and the occasional outdoor venue. I'm open to any and all options: pair of 12's, 2x12, 4X10, etc.

Budget: $600

Setup: G&L L-2500 into a markbass sd800 w/ RBI in the effects loop

Thanks all!
  2. rpsands

rpsands

Trying to stay well within your budget, you might want to check out a GK MB410. I dug the sound and they're light and cheap.
  3. blastbear100

blastbear100

Thanks. That's a pretty sweet lookin combo. I'm only just looking for cabs though.
  4. rpsands

rpsands

Yeah, I meant the MBE-410, sorry. The cabinet version.
  5. blastbear100

blastbear100

Okay, so I recently found a couple of what seem like good deals. Aggie gs210 for $350 and gs115 for $300. The 210 is 65 lbs and 115 is 40 so it meets my weight requirement. I've heard good things about the 210, but not much on the 115. Obviously I'll be tryin them out individually, but not with one on top of the other. Anybody have any experience with both? Or possibly suggestions for better alternatives.

p.s. still looking for one of those gk's to pop up
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

You are not going to replace a 410 with a 210 or a 115.
  7. blastbear100

blastbear100

I know I wouldn't replace it with either, but both together? and i just realized the 115 is 60 lbs.
  8. CL400Peavey

I wouldnt recommend mixing cabs. Play the 210. If you like it get two, or vice versus with the 115.
  9. blastbear100

blastbear100

thanks for the heads up! one more q clp, if i find a deal on a gs 212, would that be a viable option to pair with the 210? If not, i think i'll just keep lookin

either way, thanks!
  10. CL400Peavey

There are a ton of threads going round and round on mixing cabs. IMEO The only cab you should pair with that 210, is a matching 210. That goes for any cab, the best cab to add to it is an identical one.
  11. Z-Bass

Z-Bass

I was going say, 40 lbs didn't sound right!

I can comment on the GS115 as I've used mine since purchasing when Aguilar first came out with these. I love this cabinet. It really changed my mind again about 15s. Has great tone and good spread. I've also had a chance to be on the listening side when letting another bass player use my rig as select gigs. A couple were shows without much PA support and the cabinet filled the room quite nicely - not sure how this would translate into a church setting. It's not the lightest cabinet but manageable and the casters make most long distance moves easier (although I need to replace mine soon as they are beat to hell). Your amp, I believe, is 450 watts at 8 ohms and should drive the cab very well.

I've had a couple of clunker gigs where I couldn't hear crap but that was the room and would have happened no matter what I used. In these cases, I elevated the cabinet (via chair, crate, or table, etc...) and that did the trick for my personal monitoring.

Now I'm speaking in terms of using as a stand alone cabinet which should be adequate for most gigs. If you need to expand, your looking at mixing cabinets (which as others have indicated has it's own issues) unless you find another GS115. While I think that would sound awesome but maybe overkill and not the most schlepable rig.
  12. blastbear100

blastbear100

Thanks for the input! There were a couple threads a while back where people swore by the gs210 + gs112 combo. I know generally mixing cabs is a bad idea, but the way I see it, if the combo doesn't turn out to be as godly as others have mentioned, I can just get rid of the 210 and get another 112 and rock the mini rig of doom.

and here's the thread i'm referencing: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/who-uses-aguilar-gs210-gs112-91032/
  13. rpsands

rpsands

Those old aguilar cabs, sheesh. Mini rig my foot, those things weigh a ton and are meh sounding in my opinion. Dark.

Go try out one of those MBE-410s. Also try a Genz NX212 if you can find one. Peavey's Tour 4x10 isn't bad either.