1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New Carl Martin Bass Drive pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by scubaduba, May 19, 2012.

1. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

2. gepettus

gepettus

yeap. looks great, especially for the tube over
  3. Steveaux

Steveaux

MSRP: $389

:eyebrow:
  4. dharmashawn

dharmashawn Supporting Member

But that is MSRP, so we should get it a tad cheaper. In comparison the lovely sounding SWELL is gonna run you a hard $350.
  5. caeman

caeman The Root Master Supporting Member

There comes a point where "tube tone" just isn't worth the price, especially when the live audience wouldn't be able to tell difference between that, or a well-built-but-much-cheaper non-tube pedal through the house PA.

Putting just one 12AX7 in a drive pedal...can't they do better? de Lisle sells an EF86-based tube pedal, with a 12AX7 pre-tube for $329. Much more tubyness.
  6. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

interested in this though, demo sounds great
  7. mazdah

mazdah

Up. Any news?
  8. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

I have to agree. I used to have the EBS Valve Drive which was another over-sized tube driver. It was fun at first swapping out the tube with various others for slight changes in tone, but it was subtle enough that only I would ever notice. The built quality was shoddy as well so between those factors and its sheer size I let it go. The Carl Martin isn't much smaller though their QC reputation far eclipses that of EBS's.
  9. mazdah

mazdah

Well, thats an interesting view. Anyone else?
  10. eddiebo

eddiebo Supporting Member

I have had this pedal for about 6 weeks and have tried it through a variety of different rigs and setups, with different basses, etc...

MF and a few other outlets retail it around $270, and they were running a 15% discount, so it was $235 shipped - well worth it, IMO

Overall I give it a thumbs up and its become a favorite overdrive

PROS:
    - its a REAL overdrive - u want to add just a touch of grit without going into distortion territory? done - you can really nail an Entwistle / Geddy / Jack Bruce sound with it but also do a "clicky" pick sound like the SABDDI or Darkglass or go more OTT into fully driven SVT land
    - it is VERY transparent, doesnt sound like you put a blanket over your amp or put a giant artificial halo around your sound like a sansamp
    - LEVEL knob allows for perfect control over unity gain with the unaffected signal
    - it has BALLS - no loss of low end, none
    - a LOT of flexibility in the EQ, very small adjustments make significant differences in sound
    - very responsive to player dynamics, the more you dig in in your playing the more you get out of it

CONS:
    - Form factor: Gigantic, takes up a lot of space on a pedalboard and the power cable juts out a good 3" from the pedal making board configuration "interesting"
    - Transformer / power supply housed in the pedal, contributing to size and weight and necessitating the use of a dedicated power cord, cant use any kind of power supply
    - Price: even with a discount its pricey

I can put up a pic of it on a board and eventually some sound samples with different amps / basses / speaker combos if anyone is interested
  11. mazdah

mazdah

Have you tried Xotic Bass BB Preamp? Which one is better?

Is there a LED light under the tube on CM Bass Drive?

EDIT: Please, post a photo. I'd like to see this beast on real, "live" photo :)
  12. eddiebo

the other OD I have is a BB and I use that one on my smaller board which is a pedaltrain mini - definitely similar sound, but the CM has a lot more girth and low end and is more transparent. The BB goes into distortion territory much more quickly and I find I need to have the bass knob at least 3/4 of the way up to have enough low end in the sound. Yes, there is a red light underneath the tube so it glows red when its on and it has a bright blue LED indicator
  13. eddiebo

heres a pic on my board w/ the lights on - you can see how much space it takes up and how far the plug comes out

Attached Files:

14. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Now that's a Biggun'!!!
  15. eddiebo

yea, u can see its almost as big as the choralflange & bluebeard together
    it sounds great, though
  16. Biggbass

Biggbass

I wish they would bring their bass amp (200) to the US market.
  17. mazdah

mazdah

UP, anybody else?
  18. mtonbass

mtonbass Supporting Member

Got mine yesterday. So far ... ME LIKES IT ... A LOT.
    More to come.
  19. mazdah

mazdah

Don't forget to post few words soon :)
  20. Chaddycakes

Chaddycakes

Dang, it is ridiculously big. That power supply is just not fair. Those are suppose to come out of amplifiers.