New Chromes - capstan issue?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Stan_da_man, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Just a quick one.

I'm sure this is me being stupid but I've just put on a fresh set of Chromes on my Jazz. E, A and D went on fine. Got to the G and didn't bother to cut it because I like to have at least 2 wraps around the capstan. Anyway, put the string on and it was the thin bit of wire before the cloth which went in first into the capstan. When I tightened the string it kept popping out by itself (at the capstan, not the nut). I took the string off, cut it down to the cloth so there was no more thin wire and put that into the capstan (FYI this isn't a break angle issue has I always try to push the string down on the capstan anyway) and that has seemed to sort the issue because the string isn't trying to move up the post anymore. Should I be alright now? I just don't want a string popping out when I play my next gig...

Thanks.

2. herb nice

herb nice

a good trick to keep things in place is to wrap once ABOVE and, then below, like this:

[​IMG]

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yep, I often have to do the locking wrap as Herb describes for the G string, too.

4. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

The term is "tuner post," just for future reference. "Capstan" is usually used to refer to the part in a tape recorder that aligns the tape to the head as it comes off the reel.

I also use the above/below wrap, especially on the E string on a Fender-style headstock, so that I can control the break angle over the nut from being too acute.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I also use this technique when the tuners have no center hole to hold the tip of the string. (My '64 Gibson EB-0 is like this.)

When the tuners have a center hole, I bend the last 1/2" of the string 90 degrees and insert it into the hole, then wind downwards toward the headstock to get a good break angle over the nut.

If you have any question about how long to cut strings, here's my measure - three fingers past the tuner. Note that the tunes on this old Univox have the center hole.

[​IMG]

7. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Yeah, one wrap, then next wrap from top going down over first one, rest of wraps spiral down. Before winding I try to measure about 6 inches or so beyond the tuning post. Then do a 90 degree bend and clip the string off anout 1 inch after the bend. Then if you want, and the tuning post hole is large enough, you can fold that 1 inch section back onto the string, and do a second 90 degree bend. That will give you a double section of string in the post hole. Not needed normally, but on the high strings it cant hurt and snugs it up.

8. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

I'm British, not American. It's valves, not tubes.

9. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

+1. I've also never heard anyone refer to tuner posts as capstans though - you're on your own there.

:)

10. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Send D'Addario an email about your issue. They are (or at least were) aware of Chromes slipping on tuners, especially the G string. They likely will send you a replacement string.

I had issues with Chromes slipping on the G tuner of my Stingray bass. Finally, I started using the locking method mentioned above.

11. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

Yes, I know. I've been there many times since 1980, for school trips, holiday trips (not vacations), choir trips, summer law school at Cambridge, pupillage to a barrister, etc. Thank God where I live we have Farmer's Gastropub and can get at least one real hand-pumped pale ale, Speckled Hen. Not necessarily the best, but better than the bottled...er...facsimiles of beverages...that are sold as ale. If I want a best bitter, I have to drive to St. Louis where there is a pub that has Fuller's London Pride, ESB and Porter. We can't even get good Bass Ale over here anymore since InBev bought the brewery; instead, they have opened up a subsidiary brewery in New York that supposedly brews the same recipe, but it is hardly a shadow of the real ale. OK, enough rant. Time for a bevvy.

12. jeffbonny

jeffbonny Gold Supporting Member

"Tuner post" is specific to this context, leaves no room for confusion and the term that should be used here. That said calling it a capstan is technically completely accurate. By the accepted definition: "A revolving cylinder with a vertical axis used for winding a rope or cable" a tuner post is in fact very much a capstan. The worst thing you could really say about calling a tuner post a capstan is that it's kind of quaint. ;)

13. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    The Plain Steel should really be cut off. It doesn't really create enough friction to stay. Most manufacturers trim the plain steel to be very very short.