New Classic Vibe 60's P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oaklandbassist, Nov 20, 2012.

1. oaklandbassist

oaklandbassist

Hey bass bros and sisters,

Here's a pic of my new CV 60's P :hyper:

It's not just one the best Squiers that I've played, it is one of the best sounding P basses I've ever played! Lightweight, resonant, midrange/airy punch, lots of low end, no noticeable dead spots. Weighs 8.4 lbs.

I like this bass much better than my '62 AVRI. But I have played some copies of this bass that really suck, too. I've had to sift thru many to find the one that works for me (and bandmates and sound engineers ;)). Seriously, it is a fantastic sounding instrument and my new main gigging bass. I have 4 gigs this week, and my Fender Custom Shop will serve as a backup bass!) It's really hard to stop playing the CV.

The pickups sound great. Really great. The pick guard screws and most of the hardware, however, are made from cheaper metals. I can imagine the screws stripping easily if one is not careful.

The fret size and material is great. It has thin fret wire and seemingly softer metal than usual, which leads to smooth glissandos with little fret noise. I bet that a re-fret will be needed sooner than with other basses, though. If I do re-fret, it will be with mandolin wire.

For the money, this bass is amazing. However, it doesn't seem like "made to last a lifetime" kind of bass construction. But who knows--I'll find out as years pass and it continues to sound great on gigs. Woohoo!

I highly recommend the CV, but always, always, play it before you buy it!

Attached Files:

2. awilkie84

awilkie84

How's the photo-tort guard on that? I saw the one on the CV Jazz and it was horrid! You could tell it was a digital picture.

3. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Congrats on the new bass. They're great, aren't they? Feel free to come over and join the Classic Vibe club too. :)

4. oaklandbassist

oaklandbassist

Haha yeah, it's not pretty when you get your eyeballs about 5-10 inches away from it. I plan on replacing it ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. oaklandbassist

oaklandbassist

Thanks!

7. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke

My complaint about my CV Jazz is that I can't see the side markers on stage. They seem to blend in with the neck.
    Can you see yours on the P? Good looking P-bass BTW, if I hadn't just sprung for an American Standard I'd pick up one of these.

8. Bongolation

Bongolation

Yep. :(

Use flats or lose frets, in this case.

9. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Squier has really stepped it up. And they were pretty good before. I have played a bunch of the CV's and VM's and they all were better than just a starter bass. I have a 1980's MIJ Bullet bass that blows my mind every time I play it. I'm sure it will last me a lifetime.

10. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

I regret not getting one of the light blue ones (sorry, I can't remember the color better than this description), when they were being made. It's the most playable P that I have encountered in years. That said, I had a CV Jazz for about a year that was equally splendid, but I needed the extra fret, up top, for "lite" gigs, in which I get to rip the solo for "Hotel California" (a decent approximation of the Joe Walsh solo from the studio version; the solo that everyone knows; I get compliments).

11. Red_Merkin

Red_Merkin

Not to derail, but where did that case come from? It's kind of awesome.

12. Kirk Bryant

Kirk Bryant

As to the side markers, my simple cure is on Rosewood or other dark fretboard just add a marker with a Whiteout Pen. On a maple board a simple black Magicmarker will do. And I like to put the mark just where the roll over of the neck edge as it goes from side to top of fretboard. The plus is that it's totally removeable.

13. chef wong

chef wong Banned

I've owned 4 or 5 American Precisions...most of them being very good. The blue CV Precision made me smile the most, even with the cheaper tuners.

China has some fine craftsmen.

14. oaklandbassist

oaklandbassist

The side markers are kind of hard to see, but so far I've had no issues with that onstage. I wonder how much it would cost you to have a luthier make some larger inlays?

15. oaklandbassist

oaklandbassist

It's the G&G case that came with my American Vintage '62 reissue P. The Classic Vibe found a new home...much like a hermit crab :).

16. bh2

bh2

Superb review and endorsement by a gigging pro (I presume).

I've tried a couple of CV Jazzes (I play a 62 fretless) and would be keen to have one as a back up, or maybe two!

I personally love the feel of these, the glossy neck finish is especially nice as well as the tiny frets.

I would think of replace the hardware also... vintage machines and bridge, proper tort guard and that's it I reckon.

They would make great modding platforms for a replica project for example.

Still looking out for a sonic blue P bass.

17. Duke21

Duke21

+1, great bass!
    The one and only thing I like less about it is the string spacing (too much) by the bridge.

18. nemo

nemo

I use this.
    If you cut a round wooden toothpick or similar thin wooden stick with sharp knife, you will have a round "stamp" to apply this white paint on the side of the neck. It is very visible, surprisingly durable, and removable if necessary.
    [​IMG]

19. bh2

bh2

I use luminous nail varnish (a nice pink, from my daughter)...

20. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke

Thanks guys, and sorry for the derail of your thread, oakland bassist. I agree about flats on the new one. TI's or Chromes and you can't go wrong. Squier just keeps upping their game, the CV's are great. And I want a case like that one!

21. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

I agree! These are just awesome for the money. Nice pickup!