***NEW*** Cobalt Slinky Bass strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Direct Box Rox, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox

Has anybody tried these? How do they compare to regular Slinkys? I wanted to buy some the other day but they didn't have the ones I wanted (Hybrid Slinkys) so I just got a regular set.

2. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

There are quite a few posts about them since they came out. (about a year now?)

Ive never tryed them. Even though I used to be an EB Slinky die hard. However from what I have read the lifespan is very short and nauseatingly dissapointing considering the cost.

3. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox

Ok thanks. Think Im gonna try the Rotosound Billy Sheehan set instead.

4. hotbass57

hotbass57

Yes, stay away better strings out there. Had them and pulled them off after a week. The tone died and they started turning black.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Tried 'em on an Ibanez SR700 and a Fender Jazz. Found them unpleasantly rough under the hands and unrewarding (although certainly distinctive) sonically. Took 'em off both in under a week.

7. GeorgeBerlin

GeorgeBerlin

They're killer IMHO but you absolutely have to keep them away from humidity and sweat all the time, otherwise they'll corrode in an instant, literally.

Also, I feel EB seems to have a little consistency issue regarding the finish, I bought two sets and one is way rougher than the other and died quickly even with utmost care.

Tone-wise, they are really outstanding and deliver the advertised sound, though. Still I'm reluctant to buy more sets...

8. awakefie

awakefie

Just bought a set for my P bass. Nit impressed so far. Changed out the E and D. Left the A and G month old regular Slinkys on. Practicing I did not notice a difference in tone. Cobalts were rougher. I will be gigging with them Saturday night but if I'm not impressed they will be the last set I buy. I like regular Slinkys better at first blush.

9. geddeeee

geddeeee

As with ALL Ernie Ball's strings.... Crap!!!

10. awakefie

awakefie

Well, they didn't make it to the gig. At practice tonight I did finally start to discern a tone difference in the E but the D just sounded tinny. I don't care for the feel, and they didn't do much (if anything) for the output and they just look fugly. They also seemed to render my tone pot basically useless. My headstock tuner had an issue locking in on them.

All said and done I put the old Slinky's ($17.00) back on. Guess I took at $30.00 bath on this one. I've never expected much from Slinkys but generally they are reliable and cheap and I don't get booed off the stage. EB needs to stick to cheap, they suck at premium IMHO.

11. SpectorDetector

SpectorDetector

So far my favorite strings, I am no expert by any means but I just went through a few things and love these so far. I've tried the Cleartone nickel, Rotosound RS66 (faves) and Hi-Beams and I have to say I like the Cobalts the best on my P-Bass. They have only been on a few days so far, so no long term opinion. Not sure what the fuss on the Hi-Beams is? They are okay, but don't understand the hype. I still need to try the Sadowsky Blue Steels again, I used to love them on my Sadowsky.

12. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

These are hands down my favorite round would strings. I used original Slinkys, blue steels, GHS steels, hi-beams, fat beams, Dunlop Stainless's, dragon skins, XL steels, and finally Cobalts. Their sound and clarity is unreal. I'm a gigging musician and put about 6 hours of gig time on these every weekend and about 8 hours of practice time every week. I've never had the "turn black and die" issue. My first set were on my stingray for 3 months and when I took them off they still weren't "dead" just a mellowed a bit. I clean my strings with GHS fast fret after every use, as I did with all of my other strings and I honestly think these held up the best.

13. MoeGJBeener

I don't get the hi-beam fuss either. Nothing special in the sound compared to any other steel string. I also had 3 dead strings out of 2 packs upon opening. Not cool.

14. SpectorDetector

SpectorDetector

The more I play these Cobalts the more I like them, they have a signature tone like Rotos do, not the same tone, but one all their own.

15. Liam76

Liam76

I tried a set on my Geddy Lee Jazz last summer. Still have them on there and they still have some life in them. My only complaint is they leave my my fretting and plucking fingers with a metallic stink.

16. MoeGJBeener

I was iffy at first, just like any new string, but I'm in love now!

17. Sahe_Bassist

Sahe_Bassist

ive had a set on my jazz now for awhile (almost a year now actually) and i like them. i didnt notice them "die" faster than other comparable strings, but they definetly "settle" and stay there for a long time. mine never turned black/smelled/ect (and i play that bass several times a week, plus band practices and shows). most of the time i wipe them down (along with the rest of the bass) with a towel once im done playing.

what i did like was the extra output of the strings. they sounded nice but with more. for me they are comfortable to play on. IMO blue steels are WAY rougher than these.

18. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    I found the same thing....I thought they were a little ringy like a bell I guess the first couple weeks I had em....but now they kinda settled down and sound pretty good.

19. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

20. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Supporting Member

I just tried a set out. I was leary because of the mixed reviews but I was pleasantly surprised! I found the tension was really nice as I am tuned to Eb for an upcoming gig. They did not feel floppy at all. Very punchy with a really nice low end. The top end is very clear but not in the same way as stainless steel strings. Like I said, it is almost more of a clearness or sheen vs the sizzle of a new set of stainless steels. We'll see how they hold up. The gig is on the 9th, so I can't imagine they won't last til then at least!

21. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

louder, clearer, but not as harsh as stainless; i love 'em, both on my bass and my guitars!

i keep strings on for a long time, and these hold up more than long enough to make their increased price a bargain.