New combo practice/small venue amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Jly56, Feb 15, 2014.

?

A new combo amp for Jeffrey

Poll closed Feb 17, 2014.
  1. Ashdown Five Fifteen. 100w 1x15

1.1%
  2. Ibanez Promethean P3110. 300w 1x10

5.9%
  3. Acoustic B200 MKII. 200w 1x15

2.2%
  4. Ampeg Micro-CL. Mini stack 100w 2x10

11.9%
  5. Ampeg BA115. 100w 1x15

9.7%
  6. TC Electronics BG250-115. 250w 1x15

16.8%
  7. TC Electronics BG250-208. 250w 2x8

4.9%
  8. TC Electronics. BG250-112. 250w 1x12

5.9%
  9. Ibanez SW80. 80w. 1x15

0.5%
  10. Galilean-Krueger. MB115-II. 200w. 1x15

18.9%
  11. G-K MB112-II. 200w1x12

13.5%
  12. Behringer Ultrabase BCL3000. 300w 1x15

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Hartke A100. 100w. 1x15

2.2%
  14. Hartke Kickbox 1212. 120w. 1x12

1.1%
  15. Peavey Tour TKO115. 400w 1x15

4.9%
  16. Fender Rumble 350. 350w 2x10

17.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jly56

Jly56 Supporting Member

Hi TB..

I've been wanting a new combo amp to use for jam/practice and (very) small venue gigs. An online vendor is having a Prez Day 15% off sale and I've made a list (poll) of units in my price range and would love every bodies opinion!

I play a CIJ Fender J (Geddy Lee) with DiMarzio Area J pups and a John East Retro J preamp. One band I play with is an Industrial/metal (think NIN, MM (loud)) and the other is older classic rock (Moody B's, Led Z, ELP, Jimi...etc)... I know... a very eclectic mix!

Thanks for your input and take care of your bottom ;)

P.S. Current amp is (was) an old Fender Bassman
  2. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

Playing them is the real difference, because what you hear and what all the rest of us like can be two different things.

That said, wattage is your friend. Easier to turn down than need more head room
  3. Linnin

Linnin

That's quite a nice list of excellent bass combos. Right now the Fender Rumble 350 is on an outrageous closeout sale of just $350 shipped from Sweetwater. A steal of a deal that just can't be beat.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rumble350/

I own the Rumble 350 head and gig with it regularly. Powerful with plenty of volume it has great rich tone and has been totally reliable.
  4. Jly56

Jly56 Supporting Member

Hi Linnin...

Thanks for your opinion! GuitarCenter has also has it for $350, before the 15% Prez Day sale... Shipped.. $297.50!!!
  5. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

I used to own the BG250 115 and it was plenty of amp for up to medium size venues.
  6. Linnin

Linnin

SNATCH!

:hyper::bassist::hyper:
  7. DogBone

DogBone

I voted for the Ampeg BA 115, mainly because I'm a fan of all the BA combos even the smaller ones. Plus the BA 115 has been available for a while and can be snatched up pretty often used for around $150 or less.

But my first choice for your situation would be an older Ampeg B100R. I think it would be PERFECT for the styles you listed. Plus it's just a cool amp that makes a great small venue tone machine.
  8. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

That is a deal that is too good to pass up IMO. I would grab one while you can! The new version of the Rumble combos look really nice but you will have to wait a bit to get one and they will be more expensive.
  9. aproud1

aproud1 Lost time is not found again. Gold Supporting Member

Definitely worth it. I really like how those combo's sound.
  10. Root 5

Root 5

You should also consider some of the Traynor combos. Good amplifiers!
  11. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Supporting Member

Santa brought me the Ampeg Micro CL....really liking it. Still don't know how it sounds past 9:00 (damn neighbors)....but gets great tone and can be heard/felt with a loud guitar and a pretty aggressive drummer.
  12. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

If I needed a practice & (very) small venue gig amp, I would eliminate about half of your choices right off the bat. For me, light weight, portability, and maneuverability (might have tight stage space in a very small venue) all come into play along with tone & volume capability - but I also have a bad back.

The Ampeg BA115 and Fender Rumble 350 both weigh around 65 lbs. The Acoustic, Hartke, and Behringer are probably all in the same ballpark, too. The new Fender Rumbles, supposedly to be released in the Spring, should change that from what I've read.

I used to have a TC Electronic Classic 450 head, but am not familiar with their combos. The head definitely had a vintage vibe baked in.

The Ibanez Promethean 3110 is small & light, and I believe you can add another 10 if you needed it. I have the 3115 (300w, 15" speaker) and it's very nice & weighs around 37 lbs. I did 2 outdoor gigs last summer with it, since it has an XLR out. The GK combos are also light, and put out a good amount of volume considering their size & weight.

I have nothing against the Ampeg mini, but that's sold as a head/cab package deal, right? Now you're into separates, which opens up a whole 'nother market.
  13. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

Site unseen you'll just have to go with your gut and recommendations. In a compromise of price, wattage and quality of sound I'd go with the GK. It is an outstanding cab for the money. Lightweight, powerful and made in the USA. Excellent depth, clarity and sounds great even at bedroom levels.

While I don't think the TC BG250's has as good of tone, the feature set is nice. The Fender does loud but tonal quality is meh IMHO.

You might also consider Carvin's MB combo amps. A 250w 2x10 or 1x15 is only $369 with free shipping and your choice of vinyl color. These will also support an extension cabinet later. I have no skin in the game on these, just something you might want to investigate.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/bassamps/microbass.php
  14. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

Yep. An MB15 (with the extension) is what I sold my BG250 to get. Cleaner, clearer tone and easier to move around.
  15. blowinblue

blowinblue official non-user of Fender and Ampeg Supporting Member

I own a Gallien-Krueger MB 112-II but wouldn't necessarily recommend that. I don't know your ears and preferences. I use mine for private practice and low volume band rehearsals only. I would never actually gig with it when I have the option of loading up a micro head and relatively lightweight separate cab. IMHO all the units in your poll are a combromise. Yes, we have coined a new dictionary word. You're welcome. :)

M. M.
  16. Salamenster

Salamenster

Promethean, check our club to see why. ;)

Great, does both the vintage and modern (with some tweeking ofc), lightweight, DI-out, loud and dark. Just... BASS!
  17. blowinblue

blowinblue official non-user of Fender and Ampeg Supporting Member

I would have to agree with you regarding the little 10" Promethean. In our local community we have this weekly Sunday Blues jam. The house bassist always shows up with his Prom 10" combo, the earlier version with the graphic EQ. It never ceases to amaze me how it keeps up easily with guitar, keys, drums, harp, 3 to 5 horns, and a vocalist. The room has freaky good acoustics but still, that little amp is amazing. Not only does it sound clear and full anywhere in the room with a variety of different players but it sounds great when I'm onstage playing through it.

Having said all that, I still would personally not gig with it (see my previous post). When I purchased my little G-K the Promethean was seriously under consideration but I needed something that I could sit on comfortably whilst playing. The Ibanez was just too short in height. The G-K was perfect. It just goes to show that height is sometimes more important than tone. :)

M. M.
  18. atomicdog

atomicdog Supporting Member

Have owned a few of those combos on the list. Still have a Rumble 350 (very underrated and dollar for dollar, probably the best amp on the list) and also still have a TCE 450 head with 2X12 (the 250 combo is overrated IMHO; had one, returned it). Ampeg Micro also is waaaay overrated. If a combo is what ye wants, I'd say the Rumble is worth a serious look.
  19. EdgeXXL

EdgeXXL Supporting Member

Go find you a Genz Benz contour 500 in either a 115 or a 210 configuration and you will be set. 300 watts or if you plug an extension cab into it 500 watts. They weigh in around 45-50 pounds. If you look around you can find one for around $350 or so.
  20. ProdigalBassman

ProdigalBassman

Before you buy the 200W Gallien Krueger, I offer my experience for your consideration....

I owned a Gallien-Krueger MB210 combo for 2 months (350W into its two 10" drivers). I've played bass for decades now, and this was a big disappointment for 2 reasons: untamable mids no matter how much EQ I did on any of my basses or on the amp itself (if that's your sound, great, but that's the tone you get with GK); and secondly, lack of volume.

I did a side by side against a TC Electronics BG250 (original version w/ one 15" - same as the latest BG250-115) and there was no contest. The TCE BG250's 250W was louder than the GK MB210's 350W without question. And the tone of the BG250 is more adjustable, doesn't lock you into one sound. It's 35 lb, isn't gigantic, easily transportable. I'd recommend a cover for it as some have said it dings easily (possible trade off for light weight?).

Whatever your decision, enjoy :hyper: