1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New competition for GK's MB200??? Traynor Small Block!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MuthaFunk, Aug 16, 2013.

1. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

I was in Long and McQuaide today where I got to see a new 250 Watt Traynor Small Block class D amp. It looks like direct competition for the GK MB200 as it was priced at $255. I had my little ones with me and they were infusing chaos throughout the store with each passing second so I didn't get the chance to try it out but my friend who works there said it was a solid piece of gear.

I was really impressed with new Traynor Smallblock 110 combo. At the time I thought, "Traynor should make these into amps" I'll report back when I get some time on the new Smallblock 200!
  2. bb03

bb03

Love to see a pic!

Zero web content about it, yet it's available for purchase...the exact opposite of GK's marketing strategy. ;):D
  3. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!! Supporting Member

http://traynoramps.com/bass/small_block/product/sb110/

These are interesting; 10", 12" and 15" variations. It appears as though these are lower-wattage versions of their 400-watt DynaBlock amps. I wonder if the small blocks are (will be) available as a separate micro-style head, like the GK MB200?

EDIT: Oh...now I get it! I didn't see the earlier distinction of whether the OP was referencing the GK MB200 HEAD or MB200 COMBO...Ahhhh-haaaa....Ahhhh-HAAAAA!

Strange though, that Traynor has this head available but doesn't link to it on its own website, but whaddo I know, I use Ampeg
  4. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

Actually the Brampton L&M has the head version in stock!! Very nice but there is nothing at all about it on the traynor website...weird. I actually liked it but as I am very happy with my GK Fusion I didn't buy it. But it sounded just like its big brothers using a Traynor 410 cab.
  5. bb03

bb03

You need to make the transition to TheDigitalMan, and re-read the original post in binary code, as the actual words didn't seem to register correctly. ;)
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

That'll probably go whoosh too.

$255 in L&M, Musicians' Friend et al will probably knock them out under $220.
  7. edencab

edencab

hi ....got the 200 head a few weeks ago....so new it is not on their web site yet....I bet these are the 1st pics on the net!......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sounds great through my Eden D115......tons of tone and volume......I am a semi-newbie, non gigging ex-sax player.....this has plenty of power for in home practice and I just jammed with a heavy handed drummer, 2 guitars......no problem keeping up. THEN, I added a 2nd 15" cab at the jam....huge sound...........has a dead silent fan...I mean you have to put your ear an inch from the case to hear it.
    ....you can see that speakon is the combo style with a 1/4" jack.....
    .... FYI .....it is rated at 200 watts, but it says 250 watts burst power in the specs. in the box
  8. bb03

bb03

Thanks for the pics!:)

Looks nice...very similar to the MB200. The mute button is a plus, and a dial for the mid scoop is better than the switch on the GK.

What are the dimensions, and does the phones jack mute the speaker out?
  9. edencab

edencab

it is 7.5"x8"x1.75" 1.5 lbs.....fits in front of my gig bag
    haven't used headphones yet..but the manual says it will mute the speakers in the combos, so I would assume the same for the head.....I need a 1/8 to 1/4" adapter
  10. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

Intriguing...

I wonder if it could be used to push a power amp.
  11. astack

astack Supporting Member

Need a DB review, please :D
  12. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

:eek:

That's light! Not that 4 lbs is heavy at all, but wow!
  13. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

Beautiful. My GB 3-8T is one of my favorite pieces of gear, and this looks like a similarly joyful little grab'n go box!
  14. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Is the Aux In a stereo input? I notice it's 1/4 phone plug in. Also, I take it that the Low Expander knob is otherwise known as a Contour ?
  15. Rual1

Rual1

How is the tone in comparison to the Dynablock 400? I realize that it's half the wattage, but is it comparable volume-wise?
  16. edencab

edencab

Aux Input ....manual says : "......A stereo source will be summed electronically when fed into the Aux input jack using a TRS streo jack....the input is fed to the signal flow after the tone controls....".....haven tried that yet

....sorry no idea on the DB 400.........I did have a rental Tryanor DynaBass 300H for a week (350 w into 4 ohms)..was a while ago, I do remember really liking the sound and it was loud ...more than double the price of this new 200H though
  17. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

And made in Canada by the looks of it! We really need a side-by-side with the GK.
  18. edencab

edencab

......."Low Expander shapes the tone of the bass by extending the low frequency and reducing the mid frequencies (around 400 Hz). By re-shaping the frequencies in this manner this provides an expanded tonal palette."
  19. edencab

edencab

yup, also a bit of a selling feature for me....

..also the Traynor was a bit cheaper than the GK .......and now even more because the GK price just went up about $60 at L&McQ
  20. darius8

darius8

Looks pretty nice, it would make a good backup. With the weight so low I'm wondering if you'd have to use double-side tape or velcro just to keep it from smashing to the ground.