1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

New DB359 trouble shooting.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by wishImay, Feb 2, 2013.

1. wishImay

wishImay

Jan 7, 2013
    Aguilar DB359 trouble shooting. Hi guys, just brought my new 359 home today and I am floored by the sound, however I think it may have some tube issues. I am using the DI out only at the moment but when I crank the master gain I start hearing an audible buzzing noise from within the unit itself, is this a bad tube? Also the power light will not light up. Scary thing is when I turned it on it blinked the power in my apartment despite being plugged into a Furman Voltage Regulator.

2. Sponsored by:

3. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Is it plugged into a speaker cabinet, as well?

4. wishImay

wishImay

Jan 7, 2013
  5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    That's a problem. It always needs to be plugged into a load. Never turn it on without a cab connected.

6. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    Yes. Never, EVER run a tube head w/o a load. Not a good thing. Great head tho - congrads!!

7. wishImay

wishImay

Jan 7, 2013
    So I should not use it as a DI sans cab?:eyebrow: Hope I did not screw it up.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Chances are you probably didn't...THIS time. I'd go plug it up with a cab and take a listen.

9. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    No, you always need to have a load connected to it no matter what. That goes for pretty much all tube amps, except for a Fender 100T in recording mode (maybe more, but I'm not sure off the top of my head).

Do you just need a good tube DI? There might be better, smaller, cheaper options out there.

10. wishImay

wishImay

Jan 7, 2013
    I bought it to use with a cab. Now I need to buy a cab.:) Would the Genz Benz Focus 15 work well with the 359?

11. wishImay

wishImay

Jan 7, 2013
    It is 8 ohm and can handle 300 watts. Sorry, I have always been a guitar guy and used combos! I never needed to know this stuff!

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    An 8 ohm 1x15 should do fine, so long as you have an 8 ohm tap on the amp. Your amp should tell you what load it wants, either with marked spkr outs, or a switch that you set for the proper load.

13. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    Tube power tends to translate to 3x the solid state equivalent hence you have 600w to work with numerically. I played my 359 through an Epifani T410-NYC (4 ohm - 1,000w RMS) cab for years and it was epic. Make sure you're using the correct speaker out - there are 2. One at 4, one at 8. Good luck!

14. DJJazzV

DJJazzV She turned me into a newt! ... I got better. Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Great purchase! Once you get settled with a cabinet, you could also Bias the power tubes. Very simple process using a Multimeter. The Bias section is on the outside of the amp.

15. wishImay

wishImay

Jan 7, 2013
    Thank you kind sir! I am really exited about the Aguilar.

16. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    No. Watts are watts.