New Demeter bass power amp.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by fivestringdan, May 27, 2012.

1. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

2. rmars

rmars Supporting Member

I emailed them about it but as usual with Demeter they sort of answer my question.

I ask if it would be 2 ohm capable and they said yes. I also ask if there would be a HPF on it like QSC or Crown and they said they would think about it.... which means no. I also ask for a rough estimate on a possible range for the price and no answer on that one.

For the record, I just found a fantastic light power amp for my Demeter..... it's called a Shuttlemax! LOL! Honestly, my 201s has never sounded so good, I'm truly blown away.

3. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Yeah, not ready for market. I am guessing they put it on their website to see if there was any interest from people currently using the pre amps.

4. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

I really dislike their snobbish marketing copy:

"No switching digital supply wimpyness"

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rmars

rmars Supporting Member

Demeter is really missing the boat not putting their pre together with a lightweight class D poweramp, not sure why they don't want to make that jump with many people moving away from heavy rack systems.

It says they are using Class H which is what QSC uses in the GX7 and PLX series. I would guess a single channel Class H would be at least 12 lbs if it's 2 ohm capable going from QSC weights on the PLX 3102 which is around 21 lbs and duel channels at 1000 watts a side @ 4ohms.

You can buy a GX7 for around $600, won't do 2ohms but it will do 4ohms a side at 1000watts and is only 15.5lbs.

If they could do a relatively light weight amp single channel amp for $400-$500 it might be cool but I can't see Demeter doing that amp any less that $1000 so I don't see this making sense.

If I were them i would be working on putting out a HBP or VTBP micro with 500-1000 watts and trying to keep it under a grand.... but I don't see that happening.

7. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I'm confused? Why does it say 1000 watt tube power amp in the copy but not on the unit. How do they get 1000 watts of tube power from such a small case?
    Not a fan of having smoke blown up my shorts. ;)

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

They shouldn't be calling an amplifier "Tube" unless it is a full tube design. One 12AX7EH doen not a tube amp make!.

9. rmars

rmars Supporting Member

I re-read that copy and see they call the amp a "Class AB /H" so I wonder if it isn't some sort of hybrid between the AB tube and Class H poweramp... Okay that could be interesting if it really cops a true tube amp vibe.....

10. CnB77

CnB77

If it is like that, Vox does something similar in their Valvetronix amps, where there's a 12AX7 working as a power tube (distinctly not as a preamp tube, before someone tries to claim that), the miniscule output of which is then amplified by a solid state amp. Hard to tell if it makes a huge difference because there's a lot of digital modeling before it in that case.

11. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Now THAT is real case of blowing smoke :rollno:

12. EscapeNote

EscapeNote

I "think" I read? I would like to know exactly where you got that. I had a few email exchanges with Jim only a few months ago regarding the best way to power my AE112 ER's. He was unequivocally in favor of 'old school' toroidal transformer based power amps, did not like the SMPS alternatives.

13. rmars

rmars Supporting Member

Poor wording. I DID read it and it was on TB. I recall because it surprised me knowing how pro old school amps he had been and that's why I made note of it. I can't find the thread at the moment and because it was third hand I will delete my statement.

14. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

You really need to run your Demeter preamp through a Crest C9 Power Amp if you want some power, but again it comes with a hefty amount of weight.

15. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    FWIW, I remember reading the exact same thing. I don't have a direct link either, but I did read it here.

16. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If they make the claim that a 12AX7 by itself will make the power amp sound like a classic all-tube amp, then yes, that is smoke blown up the crack. But in purely technical terms, a 12AX7 can be configured as a power tube, and other brands have done this too--so they are not blowing any smoke about how it works.

17. BassmanPaul

Yes it can but, a 12AU7 would make a much better choice as it has the needed plate dissipation. It still doesn't make the unit a tube amp.

18. rmars

rmars Supporting Member

Thank for backing me up bongo. I used to have the memory of an elephant but after 11 year of marriage, three kids and in general just getting older I don't recall details like I used to... just the broad strokes.... Now where did I put that darn remote control?

19. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

I thought you said you have three kids? :bag:

20. rmars

rmars Supporting Member

LOL! They're at grandma's today so that one was on me..... believe me, if they were here I'd asking them what the heck they did with it!

21. BassmanPaul

Three kids??? Your memory is not the only thing like an elephant you have then! :bag: