1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New Digitech Bass Whammy?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bengolding, Mar 7, 2014.

1. bengolding

bengolding

I am a huge fan of Justin Chancellor from Tool, and a great admirer of what he does on bass. I'm 15, so I cant exactly buy any pedal I like. I've been waiting for the new version of the bass whammy to come out for a few months, as I love what can be achieved with it, and will hopefully get it for my birthday next month. I want to know peoples thoughts on the new whammy; is it worth the money? Are there any better options to choose from? - New to forums, dont mock me xD

2. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

I don't think anyone has it yet, it's still being shipped out I think.

Welcome to the forum and welcome to bass!!

3. bengolding

bengolding

I see, I was wondering why it was hard to find it for sale anywhere xD thank you very much!

4. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

I heard May they should be available

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bengolding

bengolding

Damn, thats after my birthday, is there any alternatives you'd recommend?

7. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

I would def wait it out and grab one when you can.

8. bunkmunk

bunkmunk Supporting Member

If it's after your birthday... it could be a late birthday gift... or an exercise in patience and the cost of the pedal would be the gift and you'll just have to not spend the money until the pedal comes out.

9. ashterdam

ashterdam

Sure it takes up a lot of patience to save up but I think it would be worth it!

Also, you're 15 and you like Tool? You have great taste in music. Welcome!

10. bengolding

bengolding

Thanks guys, I think I'll just save the money up :) and yes, Tool are my favourite band ever xD thank you!

11. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Yep, an original bass whammy :smug:

12. bengolding

bengolding

Why would I shed out even more money for a predecessor, when I'm already on a tight budget?

13. karstetterpj

karstetterpj

Disclosures:
    Commercial User
    Pretty sure he was kidding about that.

14. bengolding

bengolding

Probably, sarcasm doesn't translate well by text. Sorry, didn't mean to sound arrogant

15. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

:hyper:

There are no substitutes for it. That's a big reason why it's so sought after. You could get a used Whammy 4 or 5, but they don't have all of the same patches that the bass whammy has. But if you weren't going to use those particular patches (I don't remember which ones off the top of my head) you could save a good chunk of change.

16. LSMFT6

LSMFT6

There's an XP-100 for sale in the Classifieds, it has the 5^Oct^ that makes the Bass Whammy essential for Tool fans. Good price too.

17. Forgotmypen13

Forgotmypen13

It's difficult to get that glitchy tone that just feels right in anything else but an original BWhammy. I have an original, used to have 2 but sold the one i used the most, and have tried everything else out there....but placed my pre-order for the new one long ago. I'll see how I'll like it.

Maybe you should hold off to hear what the new one sounds like from other Tool fans. Possibly, by then, the originals will drop in price and you pick one up.

18. LSMFT6

LSMFT6

Have you tried the XP-100?

19. bengolding

bengolding

Im just going to wait this one out and see what other people make of it before committing to it. I would get the guitar version of it, but I just don't think it would be the same, I want one that is specifically designed for bass. I will have a look at the X 100.

20. ocoaibass

ocoaibass

Tracking bass notes is a sketchy enterprise. Just like octave pedals, most whammy pedals are designed for guitar. The original is awesome, and you can get most of those tones out of the 4, but it's not got the same "good" glitchiness of the original. It has it's own thing which many like, but not quite the same. Wait for the new one. Don't accept a substitute. You're only having to wait months. Most of us have either been waiting years for this reissue or we've wasted lots of money on guitar versions while GASing for the original.

Besides, as a bass player you're going to need to learn patience. Guitarists & drummers are a lot to put up with ;)

21. waterboy

waterboy Supporting Member

+1

The XP-100 has worked well enough for me for quite some time now. Definitely worth a look.

Having said that, I do have the new bass whammy ordered.:bassist: