New Double Bass for High School

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Bugmeister96, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Bugmeister96

Bugmeister96

A bassist in my section at school is looking to get a bass and I recommended that she get a relatively nice one if she intends to play bass in upper level high school orchestras or beyond. She asked what kind I have and it wasn't much help as I own a custom Upton Bass and that's a bit out of her price range.

I need suggestions for a relatively nice sounding bass that is within a reasonable price range. I'd prefer to not approach her with a $5000 price tag. Thanks for any help!
  2. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

A Shen. Something between an SB-80 or a Willow (SB-200, I think). For that price range, it's your best bet.
  3. Hqubed

Hqubed Supporting Member

As far as labels Shen, Eastman, & Christopher all seem to carry a good rep here and can all be found in the price point you are targeting.

I would suggest keeping an eye on the classifieds here and CL in your area. An Upton listed here today at $2,800 (already sold), and there are a couple of Upton Hawkes (pre US) on Craigslist in various parts of the country. Hybrid New Standard LaScala and Cleveland bass' show up from time to time.

More importantly, she should play everything possible in her price range and pick the one that speaks to her.

Best in helping your friend.
  4. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Disclosures:
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    A hybrid Shen might be a good cost/benefit instrument for high school orchestra playing. There may be a Shen dealer within reasonable driving distance of wherever you are. Look up "CSC Products" and check the dealer finder function on the their website. Happy hunting!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bugmeister96

Bugmeister96

Thank you both! I have been doing a bunch of CL (I've looked at every single bass in my state and many in the surrounding states) and I have been looking for those! I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't leading her astray.
  7. RSBBass

RSBBass

Letting us know where you are could help us steer you in the right direction.
  8. robinlbe

robinlbe

Like the original poster, we are looking for a bass for our son. He currently has a 1/2 Palatino, and he HATES it! He refuses to play it. However, he enjoys his bass and enjoys playing in the orchestra. His orchestra teacher (also a bassist) tells me frequently that our son has so much talent on the bass, and constantly amazes him. Our son has a good ear and is consistently on pitch. BUT, he does not take lessons nor does he desire to do so.

He has outgrown the 1/2. The music store from where we purchased this has an outstanding reputation, and has had for many, many years. When we purchased his 1/2, they gave us a great deal (we're repeat customers -having bought our other son's violin and our daughter's cello there, as well as my own flute and piccolo "way back when."). Anyway, every penny we paid for the 1/2 will go right toward a new 3/4. Great, right? Well, the catch is they have only one bass in stock - Palatino. ugh. Go figure. (my son has said the palatinos as school are awful, too),. The store is willing to order something for us, but I know how important it is that our kiddo play before we purchase.

Our son is currently a junior in high school, and thinks he might be interested in playing in college, although that would not be his major. (The rest of us, although we're not music majors, do still play our instruments...even I do!!)

So, now after that long-winded introduction, I need advice on a decent bass at a decent price. I've checked the classifieds here. I've checked the exclusively bass stores within our region (although they are all 2-4 hours away).
    I've seen Engelhardt, Shen, etc. It's all so confusing to me....and even though I won't be spending in the ten's of thousands, even a couple of thousand is pretty significant.

help?? please.
    thanks..robin
  9. waltwallace

waltwallace

robinlbe -
    take your son to check out the sb-150 the guy in KY is selling. if it works for him buy it. i think that's a decent deal for a decent bass. unload the palatino for whatever you can get for it.
  10. Hqubed

Hqubed Supporting Member

11. robinlbe

robinlbe

wow!
    thanks to both of you for taking time to respond.
    And thanks for so many places to check!
    I had checked our Louisville, KY craigslist, but came up empty handed. I really appreciate these leads.

blessings..robin