1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New drivers for Avatar cab, impedence question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Jeb, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Jeb

Jeb

I have two Avatar B210s that I sometimes run together as a vertical stack. One has the basslite neo drivers and the other has the kappa pro drivers. Performance is excellent but the kappa loaded cab isn't near as light as the neo cab obviously, and I would like it to be. So I'm thinking replace the drivers in the kappa cab (and then sell them) as opposed to getting another cab.

I'm guessing that the kappa has 16ohm drivers wired parallel as opposed to 4ohm drivers in series (8ohm cab), but I won't know that until I pull them. The only descriptions for the neo drivers that I see online say "8ohm nominal impedence." How can I be sure that I'm getting the right impedence drivers when I order from somewhere?
  2. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

Avatar uses modified Deltalite IIs in their Neo cabs. The only way to get 16Ω versions is to order some from them, and they seem to have an exclusive agreement with Eminence that discourages that.

Unless you order like a hundred at a time, you won't find any 16Ω Deltalite IIs, or basslites either, for that matter. Welcome to the wonderful world of DIY.
  3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Contact Avatar and see if they'd be willing to sell you a pair or swap out the ones you have (plus some $).

How do the two different cabs differ in tone?
  4. bobcruz

bobcruz

Avatar sells replacement speakers if you own their cabs--what Eminence might object to is someone buying just the speakers without owning the cab. Dave at Avatar will hook you up.
  5. Jeb

Jeb

Yeah, I should've just contacted Dave to start with - he's gonna fix me up with either some 4ohm basslites or if my cab is wired parallel (which I think it is) then I'll go with the delta lites so I don't have to change anything.

And to Freddels, I can't really hear a difference in tone between the two - sounds like a bass to me. What I notice is lifting the kappa cab in and out of the vehicle and on and off the stage, the neo cab is very nice that way. But they both sound really good. Thanks guys for the replies.
  6. Freddels

Thanks. I have a 4 ohm 210 Neo that I gig quite a bit with. I wanted to get a pair for a vertical 410 but they'd have to be 8 ohm each. I was wondering if the ceramics sound even better. I know someone that used to gig with an older ceramic 212 and he just loved the tone of that cab.
  7. Jeb

Jeb

No, I'll never do ceramics again. It has nothing to do with performance, I move this stuff every weekend. Neos perform excellent, you'll be very happy.

I gig a 4ohm GK MBE 212 a lot with great results. And 34lbs! But vertical 210s are much closer to ear level and they sound really good to me. I read something about "beaming" and all the technical jargon that goes with that. So I got sucked in a bit.
  8. Freddels

I do gig with the neo 210 and it sounds good. The reason for the vertical 410 is to get the cab closer to my ears. I play on some very small stages and I can't hear myself when the cab is touching my leg (even with it tilted back it's just too close).
  9. Jeb

Jeb

Yeah the vertical stack is the same small footprint and your amp is closer to eye level. Out front it doesn't matter if you have PA support but if I can hear myself better, I play better. And if you don't have PA support, vert 10s have it all over square 10s, if you believe the technical jargon stuff that I eluded might have sucked me in a bit in the last post. I mean, I don't have control over FOH, but I can control my stage sound. If vert 10s make it sound better out front, I'll never know but it won't hurt my playing if I think everyone is hearing what I hear!