New EBMM on order...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Selta, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Well, hello there TB. It's been a good while since I've posted here... practically a year in fact. Been a bit busy with actually playing music and life, rather than spending time on the forums.

As some of you know, I have a considerable weak spot for Music Man basses, especially Bongos. I've owned several now, though presently I only own one; a Bongo 6 HS in Silver. Its been a workhorse and a great instrument to play on. Lately, I've been itching for something ... different though. I've looked around, knowing in general what I wanted. I hit ebay and TB classifieds... searching off and on to see if "it" would pop up.

Well, it hasn't yet, and I'm at a point where I want "it" now. Or, as near to now as possible.

I went to one of my "go to" places (The Perfect Bass) to see what they had in stock. A swing and a miss - but I figured as much, as I can't imagine anyone actually keeping what I had in mind on hand. While here though, I noticed the "color of the month" from EBMM - however, it was for October. Drats! That Red Sparkle sure looks neat.

I shoot off an e-mail to James at TPB letting him know what I am looking for, how I thought the red sparkle was cool, and how it sucks that I missed it by a month.

He gets back to me pretty quickly... letting me know that he can alter one of the basses he has on order to suit my needs! :hyper:

So, now that you're sick of reading, here's what should be in my hands January or February of 2014:
    EBMM Bongo 5 HS + piezo, Sparkle Red, unlined fretless. I may do a last minute change to HH + piezo, but I think I'm set on HS + piezo for that single coil type tone (any input one way or the other is more than welcome!).
  2. sbassface

sbassface Supporting Member

Sweet! I would stick with HS + piezo for fretless, IMO unlined at that I'm jealous! Someone on the DC craigslist has a green sparkle bongo for sale, no funds, gives me an idea of what the red sparkle would look like
  3. IGotGas

IGotGas Cajun Rocker

Sounds like a winner!! I live right down the street from that shop, btw.
  4. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Can you elaborate on this? Just curious why that is, to you :)
  7. sbassface

2 humbuckers seem a little agressive, which I like on a fretted bass, I feel like you would get more nuances of the fretless with 1 humbucker and a single. It will be more versitile in general. Piezo seem to work well for fretless, so altogether you'll have a nice little electronic package on the EBMM, love those electronics not to mention how well made a USA EBMM is in terms of fit and finish, (my first nice bass was a musicman sterling in 93'.
  8. sbassface

I noticed you have a couple sterling 5HH in your profile, that might be my go to bass if I get back into Electric, (I have an upright only at the moment), I do love bongos that I have tried though
  9. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Hah, thanks for reminding me to update that. Still love the Sterling's too... just like the Bongo that much more :).
  10. Musicman20

Musicman20

11. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Just spoke to James over at TPB - he's checking on fretboard options to see if he can maybe get Ebony instead of Pau Ferro. I think Ebony would look better with the Red Sparkle.
  12. sbassface

Ebony was sorta what I had in mind when you said unlined, although if you can't get ebony I'm sure the Pau Ferro would be great too.
  13. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    It's been a long time coming, but my bass just landed at ThePerfectBass. James may try to get a few photos of it for me if he can - it should be on its way to me today. Baton Rouge to Seattle probably a week... hopefully next weekend I'm jamming out on this thing :hyper:
  14. FEENMEIST

FEENMEIST

Hello TBers! My 1st post! I was a fender guy for 25 yrs, then I wanted a 5er, the fenders were too strange, so I got a yamaha trb, great bass for 5 yrs (many many gigs), then I started reading about the bongo . I wanted to try one but couldn't find one ! I started gassing hard core for one so I ordered it ( be here in nov. 2014), I hope I'm not nuts for doing so, I'll let you know when it arrives......
  15. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Awesome! What kinda Bongo did you end up ordering?
    Mine showed up, and is awesome. Some day I'll get around to taking photos of it... :p
  16. FEENMEIST

FEENMEIST

Cool! I ordered a 5hhp in tangerine pearl- it'll be my mid life crisis bass.... Ha ha , kidding, I'm so excited , I'm enjoying the wait!
  17. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Nice choice! I love the piezo pickup on my fretless. I want to trade my 6HS on a 6HHp. :) hopefully the wait for you goes by pretty quickly!
  18. FEENMEIST

FEENMEIST

Thank you ! I've got a bass or two to sell first, so that should make the wait interesting at least.