1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New EBMM on order...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Selta, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Well, hello there TB. It's been a good while since I've posted here... practically a year in fact. Been a bit busy with actually playing music and life, rather than spending time on the forums.

As some of you know, I have a considerable weak spot for Music Man basses, especially Bongos. I've owned several now, though presently I only own one; a Bongo 6 HS in Silver. Its been a workhorse and a great instrument to play on. Lately, I've been itching for something ... different though. I've looked around, knowing in general what I wanted. I hit ebay and TB classifieds... searching off and on to see if "it" would pop up.

Well, it hasn't yet, and I'm at a point where I want "it" now. Or, as near to now as possible.

I went to one of my "go to" places (The Perfect Bass) to see what they had in stock. A swing and a miss - but I figured as much, as I can't imagine anyone actually keeping what I had in mind on hand. While here though, I noticed the "color of the month" from EBMM - however, it was for October. Drats! That Red Sparkle sure looks neat.

I shoot off an e-mail to James at TPB letting him know what I am looking for, how I thought the red sparkle was cool, and how it sucks that I missed it by a month.

He gets back to me pretty quickly... letting me know that he can alter one of the basses he has on order to suit my needs! :hyper:

So, now that you're sick of reading, here's what should be in my hands January or February of 2014:
    EBMM Bongo 5 HS + piezo, Sparkle Red, unlined fretless. I may do a last minute change to HH + piezo, but I think I'm set on HS + piezo for that single coil type tone (any input one way or the other is more than welcome!).
  2. sbassface

sbassface

Sweet! I would stick with HS + piezo for fretless, IMO unlined at that I'm jealous! Someone on the DC craigslist has a green sparkle bongo for sale, no funds, gives me an idea of what the red sparkle would look like
  3. IGotGas

IGotGas Cajun Rocker Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like a winner!! I live right down the street from that shop, btw.
  4. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

5. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Can you elaborate on this? Just curious why that is, to you :)
  6. sbassface

sbassface

2 humbuckers seem a little agressive, which I like on a fretted bass, I feel like you would get more nuances of the fretless with 1 humbucker and a single. It will be more versitile in general. Piezo seem to work well for fretless, so altogether you'll have a nice little electronic package on the EBMM, love those electronics not to mention how well made a USA EBMM is in terms of fit and finish, (my first nice bass was a musicman sterling in 93'.
  7. sbassface

sbassface

I noticed you have a couple sterling 5HH in your profile, that might be my go to bass if I get back into Electric, (I have an upright only at the moment), I do love bongos that I have tried though
  8. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Hah, thanks for reminding me to update that. Still love the Sterling's too... just like the Bongo that much more :).
  9. Musicman20

Musicman20

10. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Just spoke to James over at TPB - he's checking on fretboard options to see if he can maybe get Ebony instead of Pau Ferro. I think Ebony would look better with the Red Sparkle.
  11. sbassface

sbassface

Ebony was sorta what I had in mind when you said unlined, although if you can't get ebony I'm sure the Pau Ferro would be great too.
  12. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    It's been a long time coming, but my bass just landed at ThePerfectBass. James may try to get a few photos of it for me if he can - it should be on its way to me today. Baton Rouge to Seattle probably a week... hopefully next weekend I'm jamming out on this thing :hyper: