1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NEW! EBS DPhaser Phaser Pedal!

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by RocketMusic, Jan 8, 2010.

1. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    EBS has introduced a Phaser pedal, the DPhaser. This thing is SPECTACULAR!!!

[​IMG]

It's got a bunch of controls on the top panel, and then it's got even more on the inside! If you can't get a phaser tone that you want out of this, I'd be suprised. It's uber-flexible & uber-configurable.

Here's a quick clip with just three of the cool effects I could get out of this one pedal.

1) Subtle Phaser effect on Zep's "Ramble On"
    2) Wide/slow Phaser effect on some slap silliness
    3) Extreme warbly phasing on a little finger-style walk.

When this goes on my board, it'll probably spend most/all of it's life in the 1) setting, that's just the phaser tone I tend to lean on. But it's nice to know the others are in there, especially now that I'm recording so much...
  2. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Oh, and I used my personal fretted Roscoe on this clip. Both PUPs wide open, slight boost on the high and low mids. The signal chain was:
    Roscoe -> DPhaser -> Alembix F-1X preamp -> Lexicon Alpha USB interface -> PC/Sonar

[​IMG]
  3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Wizardry! Supporting Member

Awesome, been waiting for this one to come out.

Silly question, I suppose, but I have to ask anyway, does it do the Jet Phase/Larry Graham sound, or close?
  4. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    One of the internal switches is for "sine wave" vs "triangle". I bet the triangle setting sounds more like the jet phaser (which is a little harsher sounding). I'll open mine up, make that change and try to get the Jet tone recorded...
  5. Darkstrike

Wow, that would be awesome man!:hyper:
  6. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Using this youtube clip as the tone to go for, I decided to add a little crunch, too. So with a grungy EBS Valve Drive in front of the DPhaser, I made this clip.

Is that close? I could try with the ValveDrive after the phaser, but I thought this got kinda close... mine has more bottom to it, I can't stand when the bottom drops out when you kick on overdrive...

I imagine in the youtube clip that Larry had the jet pedal going straight into his big acoustic head, and the head itself was being overdriven to get that crunch.
  7. Darkstrike

Holy hell!:eek:

Close indeed, and a huge sound, damn, I really like that!

Definatly have to pick one up, as soon as I can, by far the best phaser I've heard on bass!
  8. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    That was my fretted Roscoe again, and I leaned on the neck pickup to get a more P-bass-like tone. It's pretty fat/phat :D

Roscoe -> EBS Valve Drive -> EBS DPhaser -> Alembic F1X preamp -> Lexicon Alpha USB Interface -> PC/Sonar
  9. Darkstrike

It most certaintly is! :bassist:
  10. Allen_VA

Allen_VA Supporting Member

Nice! Having ADD as I do, I saw your grunge clip link and went right for it. My first thought was "dang that sounds like a Roland Jet Phaser". Of course then I go on to watch the Youtube link, then read the rest of the post (lazy, I know).

This DPhaser pedal sounds killer! I've been pining for a Jet Phaser ever since I saw that Graham clip a couple years ago and the DPhaser may be a good start :)
  11. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

it sounds soooooooooooooo gooooooooooooooooooooooood!! too bad its too expensive for me :(
  12. Darkstrike

Yeah guys, amazing, eh?

I had to go back and put it on some more, love it.
  13. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    I don't what's cooler, the pedal or that kick a-- bass!

Great sound! Is that the Audere with the Z-mode switch?
  14. Allen_VA

I love this pedal! There is a ton of adjustment to the final tone. I've recorded (my first) sound clip using a Zoom H2 recorder placed about 1 foot away from my Schroeder 1210R cabinet, driven with a ShuttleMax 12.0 head. I'm using an SX jazz, WFO on vol/tone.

http://sites.google.com/site/acbassdepot/DPhaserSoundclip.mp3?attredirects=0&d=1

I'm new to using Google Sites as a file hosting service, so we'll see if this works!

The pedal has a depth and rate control which I left fixed at Fully CW (for depth) and at around 10 o'clock for the Rate.

The soundclip highlights differences in the effect setting (S, L, W) and the resonance setting (off, lo, high). In the sound clip, I progress from S (off->lo->high) -> L (off -> lo -> high) -> W (off -> lo -> high) playing the main riff in "Stranglehold" by Ted Nugent.

At the end of the clip is a bit of Tool's "Schism" with full depth, but the rate has been knocked back to about 9 o'clock. I'm still using the "W" effect setting and the "high" resonance setting. A little tweak in the 'rate' knob goes a LONG way!

The "W" effect setting with "High" resonance is pretty wacky and a ton of fun to mess around with. It sounds almost 'robotic' with something like 18 delay stages. Wild!

My personal favorite tone comes from: Depth = just back off of full CW a bit, Rate = 9 O'clock, Effect = "L", Res = "Lo".

EBS makes some killer pedals, but this one is definitely cake-taking.
  15. LilRay

LilRay

Disclosures:
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    Link's not working Allen. I get the "start a new site" page.

Ready and waiting to hear Uncle Ted.:bassist:

God Bless, Ray
  16. Allen_VA

Do you happen to recall what settings you used on the pedal in this clip? Did you switch the LFO type switch inside the pedal?
  17. Allen_VA

Thanks for checking it out - I believe I've corrected the problem.

Hopefully it will work now!
  18. LilRay

LilRay

Disclosures:
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    Yup! Link works now.:)

Very cool indeed.

Ted would make you ring a chicken's neck, pluck the feathers, grill it, and scramble it's offspring for breakfast before you could jam it with him though:D

God Bless, Ray
  19. Darkstrike

Very cool stuff Allen!

I just got mine last Friday(thanks again Greg), and this one is the real deal. Already got like three or four fave settings, can grab Thin Lizzy tones super eazy, working on my Jet Phase sound now, having fairly good luck throwing my Blowtorch in before it.
  20. PawleeP

PawleeP

wonder if anyone has compared this ebs to a Keely or a mophine dream phaser? tried out a keely yeeterday and it didn't sound too bad.. kinda would like to know which ones have a blend or dry signal mix, which the mxr phase 90 doesn't have