New Eden 210XST speaker shredded

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by trev5269, Feb 18, 2013.

1. trev5269

trev5269

Had a gig and I went to use my cabinet after the opening band, and to my surprise there was a lacking in the low end. Played a little and realized that one of the speakers in my 210xst was torn and folded over, hanging. I run a 210xst and 210xlt stack. What am I looking at in terms of repair costs?

Do i need to ship this back to Eden, and will they cover it? The cabinet is only a month or two old.

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Never loan gear without a written contract of who pays when damage happens
    good thing your under warrantee this time

3. trev5269

trev5269

prob the last time i'll be lettin someone use my gear, ya live and you learn. are you sure its under warranty?

4. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    So if you buy a new car and your mate drives it off a cliff, that's a warranty claim?.:rollno:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassmann1968

Bassmann1968

Nö warranty for sure.
    On the Eden forum we have a list of great shops which do Eden woofer repair.

7. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

Have Eden send you a paid replacement. They're easy to install. Chances are the other bass player was using a weak bass head and maxing it out into the XST which can handle (and needs) some significant, clean power. Never loan gear. Easy rule.

8. craig.p

craig.p Supporting Member

Your cab was overdriven at the low end. Probably a combination of too much volume, too much bass boost, bass boost from a shelving-type bass control (the work of Satan) either in the amp or in an active bass, no subsonic filtering anywhere in the signal chain, and the fact you're mixing XST and XLT cabs which is probably introducing delay-related cancellations, meaning the rig has to work harder to supply a given volume level.

9. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :scowl: :rollno: :eyebrow: :atoz: :bawl:
    There is no such thing as under powering a speaker. This is clearly a case of over powering.

Please stop propagating the myth.

10. Vinny D

Vinny D

It seems very odd to me that only one speaker was damaged, especially seeing how the one that was damaged is completely destroyed.
    Did you check the remaining good speaker to confirm it actually is good?
    Also, if XLT cab was run with the XST and that survived...my money is on it was a defective speaker to start with. (The XLT cab handles less power and survived)
    It's worth a try for a warranty repair....if you can actually get in touch with someone at Eden..

11. trev5269

trev5269

Well, it was being run in crossover mode > an amp with 2 output channels which give each cabinet differing amounts of power.

Hoping Eden can help me out w/ this one. The cabinet was also purchased through musician's friend, going to see if they have any sort of damage control options as well.

12. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    +1 to this given how much more power the XST is thermally rated for over the XLT. It would seem like a clear-cut warranty claim to me.

Oh, missed the part about the X-over. Still, if only one speaker in the XLT failed, seems suspicious. How much power was there on the channel going to the XLT?

13. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    I've always been leary about allowing my amp to be back line for someone else. On the rare accasion that it did happen I walked to guy through it and made it very clear that you break, you buy.

This is one reason why I love my Bag End powered cab. Due to the protection built into the amp it's impossible to blow the cab.

14. trev5269

trev5269

I have a pretty hot amp running into it, which could be the culprit, I might be getting it replaced, had 1000 watts running into it and its rated at 500, however, there is a -db gain knob for the poweramp on each channel and I had it down enough that I know for a fact it wasn't overpowering it as it wouldn't fart out at all or sound like it was being strained, at least when I was playing :[

15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

If you were using a crossover which cabinet was handling the lows???

16. trev5269

trev5269

17. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

The destroyer apparently was pounding the cab at the tuning frequency.
    The box resonance pressure brings cone motion to a virtual standstill at this frequency.
    Sufficient input power results in the "Eden Crease", or in your case complete destruction.

One driver of a pair died for the same reason that a person gets a cataract in one eye out of two.
    Or one kidney fails even with two in the system.
    Cuz doo-doo occurs.

18. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

That explains why the XLT was undamaged. It wasn't doing anything. All your sound was coming from the cabinet that blew. you were, in essence, using a single 2x10. As you have found out, bi-amping into two full range cabinets doesn't work too well.

19. trev5269

trev5269

can you explain this a little bit more??

20. trev5269

trev5269

It definitely adds volume / tone / sound to the xst, I have volume controls for the xlt on both the preamp and the power amp. Everything seemed to be in working order, I just think the person using my setup didn't realize he was pushing it way too hard.

21. murphy

murphy

WAY too hard
    Why do you crossover? To me that is just asking for trouble using a 210 as a sub woofer in a live bass guitar rig. your ears cannot judge speaker cone strain.
    I think you should run both cabs full range.....a combo many people raved about in the Eden forum