New Euro Preamp to mix piezzo and mic

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by rickwolff, Jul 2, 2013.

1. rickwolff

rickwolff Supporting Member

Check this out: http://www.vintage-revolution.com/products/acousticbox/features/
    This preamp looks to have all the bells and whistles many posters have wanted in 1 pre-amp. Including full 48v phantom power - and powered by 110v not 9v. It doesn't look like anyone in the US carries this yet - I called Mark at Gollihur and asked him to look into it. I'm hoping some of the techies here can comment on what looks like a very interesting pre. I'm thinking that just running this into a powered speaker might be the ticket.
  2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Gold Supporting Member

Rick,
    From just a cursory glance at the pictures, the Acoustic Box doesn't have full EQ for both channels, just one. Obviously there's no way to objectively evaluate this product without actually using it, but it seems to have a design that's similar to the Headway EDB-1 with several added features. I've actually seen the Acoustic Image Flex Pre Amp and it has 48 volt Phantom with two full EQ channels. So I'd be more inclined to go with that product, based on AI's stellar service record. Just My Take

Attached Files:

3. rickwolff

Hi Ric,
    Thanks for the response. I always enjoy & appreciate your posts and this was no exception. I agree the AI pre looks incredible, I can't find the price but I thought I read it may come in at about $800 - I'd love to find something good and effective for a whole lot less than that if I could. You are correct that on the Abox there is only one 3 band EQ and that is for the mixed signal. There is however, a parametric EQ on each channel. I really don't yet have enought experience to really know exactly what I need. I am presently running a Gage Lifeline to a Fishman Platinum Pro on my Shen 7/8 Willow and really liking it. I do want to add a mic (yes I know the challenges) for some of that 'air and woody thang' that the bass has acoustically.

By the way, you can find the owners manual for the Abox at: http://www.vintagerevolution.com/_documents/Abox_user_manual.pdf

I would love for some talkbassers to get ahold of this unit and post their findings. The reviews on their website are glowing but, of course, you would expect that.

Thanks again,
    Rick
  4. rickwolff

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ric Vice

Rick,
    Well, I took the time to read the owners manual and the threads on Bass Chat. In principle the Acoustic Box has some very nice features. I especially like the Parametric EQ's that are voiced differently on each channel to deal with piezo quack and microphone feedback.

My only critique would be the lack of low and high midrange controls and a single channel EQ section. However, it's possible that with those dedicated parametric EQ's, you wouldn't need a 4 band pre amp, hard to say. $400.00 is a reasonable price.

Incidentally, I searched back through the AI Flex thread and here's Tom's price quote for the Flex Pre Amp. "It should retail for around $400, and they even have a mic stand mounting kit" So hopefully that's what it will be.

Ric
  7. rickwolff

Ric,
    Thanks again for sharing your expertise. If the AI flex does indeed come in around $400 that would look like the best solution!
    Rick
  8. rickwolff

Ric,

Had the chance to meet and hear Rick Jones playing in a duo in Durham with Gary Brunotti last night. What a pleasure! Rick is a real gentleman and a fine player. He told me the Pre is going to sell for $600 and the powered speaker for $1400. Whether there is any difference in the 'street' price I don't know but I've never seen AI equipment discounted.
    Rick has a really nice bass which he let me try after the gig. (I think he said it is a Pollman, but I'm not sure). He has Obligatos (I think that's what he said) on the bottom 3 strings. He was playing thru an Ehrlund to the Flex system. I really liked the way the bass felt and sounded acoustically when I tried it, but the amplified sound was a bit more 'old school' than I prefer. Granted, I play Spirocores (though I'm thinking of possibly a different G and maybe D string - Evahs or such). I prefer a little more growl and sustain than what he was getting. I think his sound may be due to the Ehrlund as all the clips I've heard online seem to have that same 'softer' sound.
    I am playing thru a Gage Lifeline and REALLY LIKING IT so far. It's very even throughout the register and has a bit more punch and presence which I like. I'm still entertaining my fantasies of combining that with a mic - I have a Pro-35)
    Anyway - back to pre-amps - Rick's Pre does not have a parametric EQ, so I'm thinking the Sound Box might help me more specifically with controlling mic feedback. I really can't say I'm getting any 'Quack' with the Lifeline (I play through the Fishman Platinum totally flat) so that may not be an issue.

Rick (lot of Ric(k)s around here
  9. Ric Vice

Agreed,
    I think that's a fair price for that nice of a pre amp the Headway EDB-1 costs @$300.00 and it's a single channel.
    I recently met Rick at the ISB convention, he's a great guy to chat with.

I believe Obligatos, are what John Clayton uses, that's a tone that's something to be reckoned with, but there a little dark for my tastes, and the sustain is rather short.

I used Spirocores for over 30 years. Only last year I switched to Evah Parazzi Weichs, because I wanted to be able to bow again. With Evah's on my bass the Ehrlund EAP has a very balanced attack and a little shorter decay, but the timbre is quite remarkable, however nothing can match the sustain and growl of Spirocores. I'm not aware that anyone has tried using Evah's paired with Spirocores, but it could work. I didn't know that Rick was using an EAP, I believe he used to have a dual element Schertler Stat B.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Realist Lifeline when it was introduced, and eventually, I'll most likely get one as a backup to my two Ehrlunds. The EAP recently increased substantially in price, if I had waited to buy one, I'm not sure if I would have been able to justify the cost.

Rick,

I can see where a Parametric would be a real advantage so that makes sense to me. I just quit trying to send a microphone into an amplifier, the four bands of EQ on the Flex, in combination with the the Flex's high pass filter, might just be all I need, but the Sound Box could work just fine as well.

David Gage has always tried to improve on the Realist especially in recent years. First their was the Wood one, then their was Realist Sound Clip (by all accounts not a big seller), and now the Lifeline. I almost pulled the trigger on the Realist Lifeline when it was introduced. It's good to hear that ye old duck may be gone. :)

Ric