1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New Fat Freddy's Drop is out

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassinplace, Jun 25, 2013.

1. bassinplace

bassinplace

Just came out last weekend. It's so good. I'm amazed that every album by these guys just gets better. Especially since their first one was so good. If anyone out there is a fan, I highly recommend you pick this one up, asap. Who says there's no high quality music out there anymore? It's there, you just gotta look.
  2. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

The second album was balls, IMO. I've yet to hear this one, though. Have you heard their first live EP? I'm not sure how available it is overseas. 'Live at the Matterhorn'. It's really killin. There's a jam session at the Horn tonight with a bunch of talent from these parts. Thinking I'll check it out.

I really love Fat Freddy's, but I have an issue with their reception. They're basically the kingpins of the 'Wellington sound', IMO, and it's getting tiring. What's the soundtrack to every single kiwi summer road trip? Fat Freddy's or maybe the Black Seeds. Almost always the first Freddy's album. Great album, though. That may be testament to a good album, but when I'm on a road trip with my bro over summer and try put on something else, he's like "nah, just put on Fat Freddy's, bro". A polarising critic from Wellington calls it "BBQ reggae".

Sorry to derail, somewhat. I'm looking forward to hearing it. Is it like the last album? The first? Completely different? I can't make assumptions from the cover art, but it seems somewhat more introspective than the last, based solely on that. I'm hoping to hear Dallas Tamaira really get some soul out there again.

If you like Fat Freddy's, there are a lot of good bands from Wellington that are similar-ish, and all great. Trinity Roots and Little Bushman are two of my favourites. Warren Maxwell is the frontman of both those bands and played sax in Fat Freddy's until 2007. He's one seriously talented cat. Anything he does is worth checking out. He's very rootsy, not interested in highbrow performance and he's just opened up a gig venue up the coast for touring bands, hoping to aid in a decent NZ circuit, which has been missing for a couple of decades. On the more rock n roll front, The Nudge is killer. They have one album, Big Nudge Pie, and it's seriously great. Three of Wellington's best blues/rock n roll/roots musicians on there.

Look what I've done. Derailed this again. Sorry :) Just trying to get some NZ music out there.