New Favorite Band. Lake Street Dive.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Feb 10, 2014.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

I saw these guys (and gals) on Colbert Report the other night and I'm hooked. The bassist is fantastic on the upright. The whole band is incredibly talented.

2. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I'm right there with you!

I was out of town and missed them the last time they came through Seattle. I bought tickets for their next trip through, and it will take Armageddon to keep me from being there. I'm really looking forward to seeing them.
  3. thenazz

thenazz

Got turned on to them about a year ago. Sax player friend sent me this clip...
  4. fourstringdrums

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fourstringdrums

They're from Boston, so my neck of the woods.
  7. Hawkbone

Hawkbone Supporting Member

yeah I was impressed with their Colbert performance too. She's fantastic on bass!
  8. Richland123

Richland123

Back in September, I was fortunate to be asked to fill in on bass with a band that opened for Lake Street Dive at a concert in my hometown. They were super talented.
  9. ddhm

ddhm

I love this sooooo much... brings a tear to my eye.
  10. Gaolee

That's how I found out about them - a guitarist I play with sent the video to me. I was immediately and completely hooked.
  11. Gaolee

I saw them last night. They are great on YouTube or recorded. They are far better live, if you can imagine that.
  12. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

Mine, too! We saw them in Asheville last month, and they are fantastic. I doesn't hurt that all the components of their music meld into my sweet spot--R&B, jazz, pop. Fabulous.
    I had wondered about Bridget's rig, and so posted a grainy pic on TB asking for help identifying it.
    Info and discovery here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/what-amp-1061090/
    She's a monster.
    The clip you posted (Seventeen) is my favorite, b/w the sidewalk version of I Want You Back. Found them after following a rabbit hole on YouTube one day, grabbed tix just in time. They had one not-sold-out show left in the tour, last I checked.
    I picked up the Fun Machine vinyl--it's now a double album with bonus tracks. The new album is killer, too. I can't wait to hear what they do next.
  13. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

Bridget is a hella songwriter, too. Some of the best tracks on Bad Self Portraits are hers (they write independently, they say, then bring the song to the band). Look up "Sometimes When I'm Drunk and You Are Wearing My Favorite Shirt" - her 2006 jazz category winner in the Julian Lennon Songwriting Competition.
  14. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

nice vocal blend, singer chick is hawt too, bass girl has got her groove on.
  15. Gaolee

Go see them NOW if you get a chance. I doubt you will be able to get a ticket to see them in a small, intimate venue much longer without jumping through hoops and standing on your head.
  16. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

settle down, there not exactly arena rock material, larger clubs and theaters are what they're best suited for,
  17. Gaolee

True, but trying to get a ticket is going to get tougher and tougher if they go on the arc they seem to be headed for. No, I can't imagine them in an arena.
  18. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

I got lucky and saw them at a festival in 2012 and again in 2013. They immediately knocked me out. The difference in the crowd was night and day in that one-year span. In 2012, the crowd was sparse, in 2013, it was like the Beatles had landed. Bridget is one of the best upright bass players I've ever heard, and, yes, Rachel Price is drop dead gorgeous as well as a fine singer. The two men are excellent players and writers, too. Outstanding band made up of conservatory-trained Jazz musicians.
  19. Dave Siff

Dave Siff

They're really good.
    The singer is a dead ringer for Jodi Arias.