1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New Fender American standard Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TexasGopher, Mar 3, 2014.

1. TexasGopher

TexasGopher

I have been trying to give myself a retirement present for almost a year. I have played a MIM Jazz for years. I really like the looks of the 2012 3 color sunburst (1349.99 dollars Sweetwater). I play in your typical cover classic rock and blues band in the area. I love my MIM. Any feedback (positive or negative) would be appreciated. Should I pull the trigger?? Thanks

2. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    Ive have over 10 different jazz basses from a 61 to 2011....they are all great in their own way. I have put played the new one with the custom shop pickups...you wont be able to put it down. Treat yourself to a great bass for a great achievement.

3. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

By all means buy the American Standard Jazz bass, you won't be sorry just make sure you get the one with the Custom Shop Pickups in the bass, and if you really want to go for the gold get the American Standard Jazz V for that glorious low B string, you definitely can't go wrong on that either.

4. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Picked tis up on the weekend, put flats on it, and it sounds incredible! It's a 5 string. Comes with this great travel case.

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sm49341

sm49341

I recently purchased a new american standard P-Bass. With the custom shop PUPs. When I heard this one, I had to have it. One thing that I really didnt pick up on in the store is the finish of the neck. But after having a few 3 to 4 hour sessions on it, I love that finish. Whatever it is, it feels perfect. It has become one of my favorite features. As another guy mentioned too, the case really is killer. Just icing on the cake of a high quality purchase.
    Basically, not one regret. And no guilt either. Just love my decision. I usually go cheap, cut corners etc on a lot of things. I didn't this time. I'm proud of the instrument.
    Your purchase is a lifetime achievement reward. Me, it was just more mid life crisis.
    Best of luck with your decision.

7. jojoslap

jojoslap

I have a 2012 with the custom shop pickups, it's a great bass and love it. I have played an mim Jazz before and that was really nice as well. It's a lot of money compared to some used alternatives, but if you want a truly beautiful instrument that's brand new and you like Jazz basses I'm sure you will love it. When I was looking for a new 4 string I played just about every bass at GC in the $700-$1800 range, there were dozens and I was there for a long time, in the end the American Standard Jazz won my heart even compared to the many cheaper alternatives from Fender at the store.

8. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Oops! Sorry OP, in my evangelical zeal over my new P bass, I saw American Standard in the title and that's as far as I went. What I can tell you that might help is that when I was researching on TB whether to pull the trigger on this or not, I found a lot of opinions saying that Fender has really being put out a quality product the last couple of years in their Amc. Std. series. My new P certainly confirms that, and I'm sure a J for you would as well. Looking forward to seeing it if/when you do. Post pics!

9. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

If you can swing it, I absolutely recommend American Standard Fender basses. I also have a 2012 J with the custom shop PUs and it's a great bass. You won't regret it; a major step up from MIM.

10. TexasGopher

TexasGopher

Thanks everyone for your advice and encouragement. I have the money but just have a hard time thinking I deserve it.

11. Dragan

Dragan

go for it, Gopher!

12. Geri O

Geri O

Who will it take to convince you that you deserve that bass? The Pope? Mother Theresa? ...:D

The community here thinks you do. Being a Jazz bass kinda guy, I bought an American Standard Jazz V last summer and it was positively awesome right out of the case (after I put my medium-scale strings on it and tightened the neck slightly to accommodate the heavier-gauge strings). The fit and finish was stellar. It sounded great. I sold it only after I came across a Music Man, which is now my go-to instrument. But if you are at all a Jazz bass guy, by all means, pull that trigger! NOW! And enjoy!

PS I still hear from the new owner of my AM Std Jazz 5 from time to time, he's still singing its praises. There ya go...

13. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

If not You, Who? If not This, What? If not Now, When? You've apparently bought responsible moderately-priced instruments up til now. Retirement marks one of the most significant milestones in any man's life. This is the time to celebrate the achievement of a good working life realized!

Get what you want! Even your "dream bass" is reasonably priced compared to boutique customs. You will not be sorry. Good luck and enjoy your retirement!

14. acmeseed

acmeseed Supporting Member

I bought mine from Sweetwater a couple of years ago, I love it. I bought it on their 24 month interest free program which makes it easier on the checkbook.

15. SteveC

SteveC

I don't have the money and struggled with this (still do a bit) with my Roscoe purchases. My wife said buy the bass(es) you like and will make you happy. Your one "thing" is basses.

I debated going to a USA Jazz like you are looking at to save some money. If I were to play a passive 4 string "jazz" bass I think it'd be a new Fender - even though Fender gobbled up an shut down Genz Benz. :bag:

16. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Treat yourself to a custom made bass.
    I had Chris Stambaugh build a bass for me 4 years ago.

17. TexasGopher

TexasGopher

I just ordered it (Sweetwater). I sure hope I like it.

18. Goatrope

Goatrope

Congrats! Well deserved. Sweetwater rocks. Best customer service. I ordered an Am Std P from them a couple months ago. Flawless transaction.

Enjoy your new toy.

19. faulknersj

faulknersj Gold Supporting Member

Congrats Gopher! Looking forward to pics!

20. TexasGopher

TexasGopher

Destiny??? maybe I am reading too much into this, but I preordered my Bass from Sweetwater---i.e. I had no idea of the serial number. My confirmation shipping email from Sweetwater (great service BTW) read Serial#US and then the next immediate numbers spelled out exactly my date of birth except one year number should have been a "5" instead of a "0"----5 out of the 6 numbers were exactly correct and in the correct order. The rest of the numbers were random, but that is kind of weird don't you think??? I can't wait to get it.

21. Bemis

Bemis

You will love it. Grats in advance. I'm ready to pull the trigger on one myself. :)