New Fender Bass...AVRI 62 P or Amer Std P ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by okc-zee, Oct 24, 2012.

1. okc-zee

okc-zee

Got a chance to buy a new Fender bass at a great cost...I've narrowed it down to the 62 P or the Amer. Std....I've had a couple of the AVRI's over the years and I love em'...but I've never played an American std....I love the old school thump,but have heard lots of great things about the 2012 Amer. Std. as well... This is a great opportunity for me to scoff up a new MIA Fender at an affordable price,so I'm gonna go for it...Any input appreciated
  2. bassguitarthund

bassguitarthund

Never owned the 62P or any MIA P bass. However I can say my American Standard Jazz is awsome and I love it. Sorry if this does not help but I can vouch for the quality of the American Standard. Good luck in your decision!!
  3. marcau

marcau

Are you talking about the AVRI 62P?

Differences are:
    1. High mass bridge vs bent metal bridge.
    2. Vintage sized frets vs modern jumbo frets
    3. Vintage style truss rod vs double action w/ graphite rods
    4. pickup routing cavity. (AVRI) can be played naked (no PG)
    5. AVRI come w/ vintage style tuners which are a bit heavy, but are easily replaceable
    6. obviously different electronics.
    7. Tinted gloss finish vs satin finish on the neck
    8. Nitro finish vs Poly finish on the body.
    9. Screw holes on the body (pguards, thumb rests)
    10. AVRI comes w/ covers (bridge and pup)

off the top of my head...
  4. R&B

R&B Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

AVRI has the Original Precision ('62) pickup. Not sure about the Am Std.

SL
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric Supporting Member

I think they have the same pickups right now which is a little disheartening.

Also Marcau forgot the difference in necks. 62RI has a wider neck in a gloss finish. I had a 2008 American Standard which I sold (regrettably) and I think it had a satin finished neck.
  7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Not an easy choice. Don't envy you having to make it. Either way, you'll score a nice bass.
  8. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

I've had both. I'd pick the current MIAs all day long.
  9. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

Picked up a NOS 2011 American Std P about a month ago. Nicest Fender bass I've had in years.
    [​IMG]
  10. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

They aren't the same pickups, at least not on the surface. I think a thread in Pickups addressed it. After owning a 62 AVRI P, I would take the American Standard. The added benefits of neck stability and color options seal the deal for me. Not to say there is anything wrong with the AVRI, they are very well built, slick feeling Precisions.
  11. Mike M.

Mike M.

Never tried the '62 AVRI, but last weekend I played a new 2012 Am Std Precision. Sunburst body with a maple fretboard and wow, what a player! I more than love my MIJ 70's P bass, but if in the market I wouldn't hesitate with the one I tried.
  12. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

The American Standard has a traditional compression truss rod, not a double action rod. It is basically the same as the rod in the AVR line.
  13. bassfart

bassfart Gold Supporting Member

I love my '08 Am Std P bass.
  14. okc-zee

okc-zee

I also notice the AVRI's really seem to hold their value...
  15. oaklandbassist

oaklandbassist

As the owner of a '62 AVRI, I'd go with the Am Standard. But don't buy one sight unseen: play at least 5 of them and select the one with the best acoustic resonance.
  16. R&B

R&B Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

Excellent advice.

Yet the most resonant bass might turn out to be the '62 AVRI! True in my herd--the AVRI with stock rounds resonates for days--but in fairness, I don't have an Am Std P...yet. :eyebrow:

SL
  17. vin*tone

vin*tone

Fretboard radius on the RI is 7.25". Standard is a 9" (??). They feel very different IMO.
  18. Bass2daMix

Bass2daMix Supporting Member

I used to have 2008 Ameri Pbass, but now I have AVRI 62' Pbass. Both are very nice, but AVRI is my choice. It just have that old school thump all the way.
  19. Randyt

Randyt

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Adult Pampers
    i used lots...and I would always go back to my AVRI 62 P...with Jamerson (Labella) flats...pure nectar!!!HAHA
  20. Bass2daMix

Bass2daMix Supporting Member

Yap, that's my setup too. E string thumps like no other bass.

BUT afterall, my main gigging bass is a Stingray. :bag:
  21. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

I just bought a AVRI 62 P last night. A couple of places are fire-saling them. I have only played one briefly and that was a while back. Amazing instruments. The American Standards are also great and arguably the best P basses ever made by Fender. It just depends on which suits you best.

If you even think that you are leaning in the direction of an AVRI, grab one today before the deal goes away. 959.00 versus normal average street price of 1349.00 is a very serious discount so it's not like you'll take a beating in the event that it fails to blow your dress up.