1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New Fender Hot Rods ... hmmm

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fletz, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Let start by declaring that I am a Fender loyalist. I have four basses - all Fender. I have a Telecaster six string and even a Fender rack tuner. I own Fender t-shirts and other paraphinalia. That said, read on.

So, they just issued information on these seemingliy cool Hot Rod models (basically American basses with P and J pups). See here: http://www.fender.com/basses/precis...-precision-bass-rosewood-fingerboard-natural/ and http://www.fender.com/basses/jazz-b...zz-bass-rosewood-fingerboard-candy-apple-red/

My first reaction was, holy cow! I need to get one! Then I started thinking (when I looked at the $2,700 price tag - list of course).

If that's your personal price point for a smokin' American bass with J and P pups, why not go with an American Deluxe P-bass with the option to switch on or off a pre-amp? (Of course I realize that is only an option for P-bass fans, like myself). Or a Tony Franklin fretted (I owned one and loved it, but sold it due to GAS - still have my Tony fretless).

So, what justifies this price point for a passive bass? Is the build going to be superior? Is there something I am missing? (And, as a Fender fan, I tried to figure it out, I really did.)
  2. jbd5015

jbd5015 Cool cars & Bass guitars Supporting Member

I was stunned by the price as well. Looks like they will go for about $2k on the market. Still a high price for what seems to be a Deluxe P-Bass or an Aerodyne Jazz without the cool binding and Strat input jack.

That being said, i think id rather have the Deluxe P or Aerodyne.
  3. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

I would take the deluxe instantly. Simply because you can switch on or off the pre-amp and the builds are usually impeccable.
  4. Jookbox

Jookbox Registered Drummer Supporting Member

I think Fender charges a $1K premium for the nitro finish.:rollno: I seriously would have considered this if the price wasn't ridiculous.
  5. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Didn't catch the nitro. Good observation. Still not a $2000 bass though.
  6. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

The P comes in Black and Natural, because we all know that these finishes are so very rare. :rollno:

The CAR Jazz looks interesting.

The high mass bridge is an unnecessary boat anchor.

In the end, I don't think either gives me any reason to reach for the checkbook.

Next !
  7. Emprov

Emprov

It'd be interesting to play that next to a Sadowsky to see how it stacks up.
  8. awilkie84

awilkie84

I find it funny that people knock fender for putting out a bass with these specs at the $2k price point, but other American manufacturers do the same thing and it's considered normal...
  9. Emprov

Emprov

Ya, I think that Fender got the rep of asking people to pay premium for the logo on the headstock. Not sure whether or not they'll turn that around but I luvs me my '11 US FSR P!
  10. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Fair point. Of course, I wouldn't pay $2500+ for sadowsky, etc. even Rics are sub 2K
  11. 1960jbass

1960jbass

I want to try one of the P's especially with the compound radius fingerboard. I just wish the color selection was better. Now if they offered it in Sea Foam Green or Lake Placid Blue, a serious GAS case would develop. And Fletz you're not the only Fender Loyalist out there. I'm just as bad!!
  12. Jookbox

Jookbox Registered Drummer Supporting Member

I wouldn't spend $2K or more for any bass.
  13. JohnnyChatter

JohnnyChatter

I would like to play it before i judged. I could never imagine paying that much for a bass. Especially since i feel like i could get somthing just as nice for 800 used. That being said im a hardcore fender guy when it comes to basses. I've owned so many high end basses that i paid to much for and to me fenders just feel right and make good products at a good cost. That being said my aerodyne p bass is a much better looking animal and sounds amazing. Im still going to play one of these before i knock it. I wish more people would actually spend some time with equipment before knocking stuff. I know alot of musicians who stand by uneducated or quick decisions they made to buy high end gear that they wont admit doesnt fit them. My mexican fender jazz sounds a bit hollow to me but baby that thing plays great and sounds great through small amps. I chose it over my g&l when i needed a 100 bucks to pay a bill. I got way more for my g&l then a 100. But that jazz is worth more to me. If ilost it iwould pay a 1000 to get it back.
  14. 4andnomore

4andnomore

Ya know, I think all most of us wanted was an America. std p with a jazz pickup and 3 way switch. Then Fender goes adding esoteric features like nitro finish and compound radius (really?). On paper these may justify the price, but as far as giving its customers what they want Fender has really missed the mark on this one. Give us the aforementioned no frills P/j for a street price on the 1350 range and you'd have a winner.
  15. 4andnomore

4andnomore

That's what Leo would have done.
  16. P Town

P Town Guest

After buying an Am Dlx P, and being very happy with it, in 2011, I returned to the shop a year later to buy the Am Dlx J, and as I was at the point of having them order the one I wanted, the sales guy offered to sell me a Select J that was in stock for a very good price. One reason I declined was because it lacked an active/passive switch. For what they are asking for these, it seems foolish to not have that feature. Not sure if there is something about the circuitry that makes it not easily implemented. It would not add much to the cost to do it.
  17. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nothing.
  18. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Good points
  19. jmcorn

jmcorn Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Praise and Worship bassist member #1232
    I added the switch for $10 on my 2006 American dlx jazz 5. Works great. The plate was tricky to drill out, but You can order the newer plates now.
  20. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

I did. Always wanted to since I got on TB. I'll never do it again.