New Fender jazz bass neck...no string tree hole?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jazzonlyjazz, Jan 3, 2014.

1. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

So I have a Fender jazz bass (MIM) maple fretboard bass neck waiting to arrive and I contacted Consumer Relations to ask if the holes for mounting screws were pre-drilled.

They said the ones for the tuning machines are but the rep said he wasn't sure about the string tree. In the event that it is not pre-drilled:

Where should this string tree hole go on the headstock?

What drill bit do I need? Do I NEED to use a power drill?

How deep do I have to drill into the headstock?
  2. tbear1776

tbear1776

Hope this will help.
  3. unclebass

unclebass

If it is not drilled for a string tree, you might want to look into getting a bar type string tree that would also help hold down the A string, which is the one that tends to give so much trouble on Fenders. A bar mounded near the E string post would keep the break angle of all 4 strings the same. This would be my choice if my headstock had no holes predrilled.
  4. Precision101

Precision101

Dude when I got my new neck it was such a pain in the butt to install the string tree. The only reason I think they don't install the hole is because they don't know the exact calculations for where the strings would lie under it.
  5. Precision101

Precision101

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1388853009.470051.jpg

This is what I did. Look at the white bass and I installed a bar retainer.
  6. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

On a jazz, they put it on about halfway between the E and A tuners. On precision a it seems right beside the A. This is just unsubstantiated observation and it also appears that it is done by eye and no measurements are involved. IME.
  7. Precision101

Precision101

When I got my new p bass they didn't even bother to drill it down all the way (string tree) along with a terribly slotted nut.
  8. elBandito

elBandito

Are maple board necks back in stock at fender?

I had to drill the hole myself on the MIM replacement neck. If you have a dremel, you can buy a drill press kit for under 50 bucks. Good enough for small jobs like this.
  9. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Yep they're definitely back in stock. Don't know if it'll still show on their website though