New Fender MasterBuilt Jazz Bass !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jongor, Aug 15, 2005.

1. jongor

jongor

[​IMG]

--------------------------------------------------------

;RE: Fender MasterBuilt Jazz Bass
    ;Price?
    ;
    ;thanks

Hi: List price $6000, our price $3999 with the case.
    thanks

:help: :rolleyes: :eyebrow:

2. lonote

lonote

A fool and his money are soon parted.

3. tplyons

tplyons

That's about what they go for. Some people think it's worth it, others go for the Sadowskys. That's the beauty of capitalism :)

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Media:
    What is thread about?

Are you just suprised at the price?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jongor

jongor

Astonished! I had no idea.

Well, 33% off list is pretty good...

7. NicJimBass

NicJimBass The Kirk Hammett of bass guitar! Supporting Member

Looks kinda cheap to me. I'd definitely go Sadowsky.... or maybe 2 SR5's!

8. tplyons

tplyons

That's about right for a Fender CS Masterbuilt. Those are the ones made by one of their best guys, not to be confused with a Teambuilt, which are your run of the mill CS instruments that are commercially avalable.

These are the ones built and overseen from day one by one of Fender's best builders.

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Media:
    Yeah I thought the master-built are built by the same builder performing all the building.

Seriously, imagine the price if Roger Sadowsky performed every task having to do with the building of a Sadowsky.

10. jongor

jongor

Has anyone ever played one?

I'd be interested to know how they compared to all the other high-end basses.

11. hiderebirth

hiderebirth

IIRC, M5Yates have a master built jazz bass
    maybe he can chime in when he sees this thread

12. Mon Rominee

Mon Rominee Banned

I still just don't see the point. It just got to the point of diminishing returns 2.75 grand ago.

No fancy woods, no real custom anything...just a nice polishing of the norm....snooooooooooooooooooooooz

13. tplyons

tplyons

The knowledge that EVERYTHING is perfect up to the point of perfection, all the wood cut perfectly, tight neck pocket, neck won't twist like a banana. Hopefully problem free forever.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Maybe they do ALL of it, I'm not 100% sure on that, but I think you're right.

If Roger did everything, that'd easilly be $6-7000 street. LOL.

15. r379

r379

I have yet to see the point of fancy woods, but that's just my opinion. All I care about is the tone and playability and I would just imagine that a Master-built Fender would give me that. I will admit to being completely stuck in the past as it relates to appearance and tone and I prefer vintage-style instruments. I'd rather spend the "fancy wood" money on a better bass.

As to passing the point of diminishing returns, 2.75 grand from $4,000 leaves $1,250 and I don't think that'll buy you much in the way of fancy wood.

Edit: I'd LOVE to have that Master-built Jazz.

16. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

There's no way i'd spend that much on any bass i couldn't customize to my liking. But i'm sure it'd be nice for fender fan-boys:p

17. Mon Rominee

Mon Rominee Banned

Understand that I'm not knocking the bass. I'm really not. I just don't see the point.

And I'm not one for fancy woods either, I don't see the point of those either.

And as for "perfection" and guaranteeing a neck will not warp, you simply cannot guarantee any of that. Wood has a tendency to act as wood acts. If that neck wants to warp, it will warp.

A tight neck pocket? Any competent CNC operator can achieve exactly that. A fine fret job? Of course, it's to be expected. But it's still off the shelf bridge, off the shelf knobs, off the shelf tuners, production pickups, off the shelf pots and jack, string retainer, strap pegs...etc. I could care less if one guy or many guys installed these components if the starter holes are in the right places and they are presumeably competent to the task.

I just don't see the point. Let me have that, okay? You like it? Fantastic. Buy it.

18. hands5

hands5

Disclosures:
    none
    I have to good Jazz Basses, 74 Fender Jazz and a MS5 Sadowsky (which really just looks like a Jazz,but doesn't sound like a true Jazz-great bass though) I did get a chance a year and 1/2 ago to play a Master Built Jazz,and the 1st thing I notice immediatley was its tone,however this bass did not have any so call fancy woods whatsoever.but it was pretty much a 90-100 % handmade instrument.I t didn't feel that much different than my Jazz but the tone of it was WIDE OPEN. Whether this translate to its "steep price maybe-maybe not. A good Jazz bass is a good Jazz bass,but this one was right there with the NYC Sadowsky IMO. 2 Great Basses

19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Media:
    But you can; if you have the green. Choose body shape, neck shape, woods/colors, number of strings, etc.

Tye Zamoras 6 string is proof that the Masterbuilt team will build anything you can dream up.

20. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

I personally wouldn't buy something like this, but hey that's just me. I can see the appeal though and I'm sure it's worth the price. I don't like the pickguard. link.

21. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Did you ever A/B this against an MIA(J,M, w/e) jazz?

And isn't getting a super custom like Tye's a hell of alot more? You could get a nordstrand or something almost completely custom built with better parts for less money.