New Fender P

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by slloyd0915, Dec 31, 2012.

1. slloyd0915

Oct 16, 2011
    I just ordered a new Fender P-Bass online, and I've got a question for you guys. I made sure to get a redwood fingerboard. My question is, flats or rounds?
  2. Tort guard goes with everything.
  3. vaesto

Jun 21, 2010
  4. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Chester, Pa.,USA
    You couldn't come up with something more original? :smug:
  5. Sponsored by:

6. SBsoundguy

Sep 2, 2011
    Los Angeles
  7. Redwood fretboard? I'm more of a palm tree guy myself.
  8. Well you will need to try both types of string yourself and see which you prefer.
  9. willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    I prefer rounds than flats. The touch and feel you know rounds feel better to me.
  10. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    No kidding - flats on P is like holding your boner for this first time - you'll never want to let it go. It goes together like spaghetti and meatballs. Flats all the way.
  11. ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Try both, and make your own decision. Personally, I have one P strung with flats, and another strung with rounds.
  12. slloyd0915

Oct 16, 2011

Rosewood Fretboard.

Damn autocorrect.

I've heard P basses strung with flats on the rosewood will have a warmer sound.
  13. Here's what I would do: Put an affordable set of flatwounds on the bass - like D'Addario Chromes, medium gauge - set it up properly, and then take it to a local music store. Bring a quality set of headphones, an mp3 player and an RCA to headphone jack cable (or 1/4" to headphone jack).

First, play the bass side-by-side with another Precision that has a rosewood fretboard and is currently strung with roundwounds. Compare both sets of strings in terms of feel, clarity, tone, etc. using fingerstyle, slap/pop, and playing with a pick. Identify what you consider to be their strengths and weaknesses, and take note of any aspects of these strings that speak to you. Write these observations down, or record them in your phone.

Second, plug your mp3 player into an amp that has an input for external audio devices. Play along with some of your favourite songs using the two basses, and again take note of which contexts you like each bass in. Record these observations, too. If your playing along with some songs bothers other people in the store, then plug in the headphones and continue experimenting.

All the best!
  14. I just put TI jazz flats on a p fiver and can't put it down.
  15. labella flatwounds!
  16. lowgroove677

Jan 8, 2011
    DR sunbeams are my favorite round for a P, that's what's on mine.
  17. tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Personally I would go with Flats but that's just me....
  18. I put some D'Addario chromes on my p5. Sounds great and really cuts through the mix. It will sound even better when the strings age a bit. The feel is silky smooth! Rounds sound really good on this too. Ultimately try both and decide for yourself which you like.
  19. I play flat Chromes on both my P bass and Stingray. As stated earlier, flats seems to me to sound better as they age so you might want to play them for a while before making a final judgment.
  20. slloyd0915

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks for the input all. :)
  21. Von Fett

Von Fett

Sep 1, 2011
    I too have a P strung with Sunbeams. Big, warm sound and smooth to the touch (at least as far as roundwounds go).

But I have been dying to try TI Jazz flats.