New Fender Select Active Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sigmafloyd, Jan 8, 2013.

1. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

2. johnson79

johnson79

You beat me to it! Looks like Fender just released a bunch of new select series guitarsn and 1 bass...
  3. David281189

David281189

looks great!active/passive switch is nice too :)
  4. BassmanAK

BassmanAK

This is very pretty but I'm happy with my Am Deluxe. More features for 1K+ less...
  5. drummer5140

drummer5140

I have a 2012 Select Jazz bass, I see no need in go buy a new 2013 just have active setup? Is it me or are the edges on the 2013 look more rounded then the 2012?
  6. Musicman20

Musicman20

It'll just be the deluxe pre no doubt. I prefer the passive option.
  7. drummer5140

drummer5140

I do agree with you, Passive It is.
  8. BassmanAK

BassmanAK

Interesting that they moved the active/passive switch.
    I like where it was on the top side of the plate.
  9. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

Agreed. A flamed top isn't worth $1k :p
  10. Bassman5001

Bassman5001 Supporting Member

My post sounds like a sales endorsement so stop reading now if that turns you off. I just got my Jazz Active Select today and I really love it! It has great action and the flamed top is quite striking. I have some pretty decent basses and this one is really impressive. I like the option of having the active/passive switch instead of a push/pull option. The tone is also all there...I just received it today and have not been able to bring it to practice yet. I'll update my post after I do so to advise how it sounds with the band...:bassist:
  11. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Disclosures:
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor, Lakland
    I definitely see myself buying one of these as a vanity purchase one day.

It seems a lot of people here don't get the level that Fender is on right now. For example I went demoing thinking I wanted a Sadowsky Metro or a Lakland Joe Osbourne, and the Fender American Deluxe destroyed both of those basses. I hadn't even had it in consideration, but now it is #1 on my list to buy.
  12. Bassman5001

Bassman5001 Supporting Member

**Update** Played with the rest of the band today and the Select sounded killer. Really cuts through but sits nicely in the mix. The sound is great but I also really like the aesthetics and feel of this bass. Fender basses have a specific sound and this bass really has it. I am pleased with this purchase. :D
  13. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    I just purchased this bass and it flatout kills!! I have the original passive version and it was one of 2 of my goto life playing basses. The big difference aside from the fancy top of this bass compared to the am del version is its tone. The select pickups are a big step up in my opinion from the stock noiseless ones found on the deluxes. I always loved the tone of the select passive models so I took the pickups out and put an ohm meter on them and they came in around the mid to high 4k range...which is lower than the pre cbs days of mid to high 5s. This gives the bass a very balsy mid grind presence and the (perceived) lack of lows and highs low impedence bass pickups can have isnt here. ..but the well rounded preamp makes sure of that anyways. There is really nothing this thing cant cop to. I have a metro sadowsky will lee and this bass has relegated it to hanger queen status. The fit and finish are top notch, neck pockets are sadowsky like ultra tight, and having the familiar jazz bass in your hands that is a tone joy is really a great achievement for fender.
  14. jm5string

jm5string

Tried an active Select the other day at a store.
    I a/b it with a Deluxe... I found the neck on the Deluxe to be thick and uncomfortable...the select had a smaller neck that was easy to play and solo...definitely would love to get one of these...
  15. Bassman8416

Bassman8416 Supporting Member

I am about to pull the trigger on one of the select Jazz basses that are shown on this thread. Glad I was able to find this.
  16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

So are you going to get one now? You know you need to post pics!
  17. Bassman8416

Bassman8416 Supporting Member

Yes, I am going to get one...it will arrive next by end of next week. Pics will be posted!!!!
  18. Bassy105

Bassy105 Supporting Member

Wish they would make these in a 5 string.:bored: