New Gibson ES-335 bass (not Midtown!): wow!!! Any better details???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Avezzano, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Avezzano

Avezzano

Link to the facebook page

[​IMG]

I can only say that since the limited fretboard to 20 frets already, I would have expected a deeper lower cutaway for an easier access... (Casady style) but I understand the need to keep the 335 body...

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Much like a SG, this body style doesn't fit the need of a bass at all.
    It is clumsy and unbalanced.

3. Avezzano

Avezzano

I guess they wanted to "modernize" the old EB2D adding a 34" scale neck. Good anyway for people that plays traditional styles not past the 12th fret... if they only would have kept the 30" scale the bass would have been more commercially viable... but who knows? If you just look at some reverse experiments Fender does lately...

[​IMG]

4. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mr.Fingers

Mr.Fingers

It's not a midtown, it's truly an 335. It has an arched top, while the midtown is a flat-top, the electronics are different,...

It looks like: "yeah, we're going to revamp the EB2", and they failed big time with the 34" scale, the T-bird pickups,... Nah, I'll just stick with the '64 I have.

7. Avezzano

Avezzano

as much as I love the standard long scale basses, would they have reissued the 30" EB2D (maybe even in the Epi Rivoli format) I would have bought one... :rolleyes:

8. Avezzano

Avezzano

...can't believe so scarce attention to this bass...

9. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Very strange. I saw this Guitar Center NAMM2013 video where they ran through the Gibson bass models. The Gibson rep specifically talked about the Midtown bass, the Thunderbirds, SG's and the new EB model. But there was no mention whatsoever of the EB-335 (I think it might be a safe bet that's the model name). And it's also not on the Gibson site, either.

10. f64

f64 Supporting Member

The fact that there is no recognition given plus a few other clues I wonder if this is the previous remnants of a failed marketing attempt. It may have come down to the Midtown or this and the Midtown got the green light to go into production. My basis of that thought is 1) the small headstock, 2) lack of neck binding, and 3) looks like a baked maple fretboard. The 2011 special run of the OS Les Paul Bass had all these three. The 2012 Les Paul Bass reintroduction into the standard line plus the Midtown Bass all have bound rosewood boards and the headstock shown in this pic is the identical shape as the OS special run and it is now used on the Midtown. The LP now uses a larger headstock.

11. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Are the mudbuckers in the current SG's and Midtown basses basically the same pickups found in the T-Bird? Why would Gibson do that? To me, the allure of those original 'buckers were the thunderous, chest thumping lows. The recent SG I tried had none of the sonic qualities of the early 60's EB-0 I used to play once in a while.

12. Batmensch

Batmensch

Are you kidding? I'd love to have one of these! Reminds me of my first bass, a Maestro/Univox:
    [​IMG]
    (not mine, but the exact same model)
    Nice little bass. If I could get a Gibson version, I would be stoked!

13. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

The video didn't mention it because the 335's were on an opposing wall in the Gibson room. Both of the basses were strung with flatwounds and, unfortunately, I didn't get to try one amplified (typical Gibson NAMM maneuver). I picked the Sunburst one up and spent a couple of minutes riffing on it. I can say that I hated the neck on it. It felt very clunky and cumbersome to me, not comfy at all.

14. stiles72

stiles72

Vegas - did you have a chance to compare it to the Midtown? And is the 335 in fact 34" long scale?

15. Avezzano

Avezzano

but, just asking: will the 335 be for sale actually? I mean: if they bring it to the Namm... Am I wrong?

16. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

I didn't do a side by side, but I've played a Midtown. I prefer the Midtown myself because the neck has a "faster" profile to it than the 335.

17. Batmensch

Batmensch

A nice fat chunky neck would actually be an absolute positive to me. Even better if it's long scale, although not a deal breaker if it's not.

18. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    No 'furniture mover' switch?

FAIL.

19. TobaccoRipper

TobaccoRipper

Hi Folks,

the new ES 335 Bass comes with a 34'' Scale and it would be available in black(no binding), tobacco sunburst and in dark cherry red.
    Look at this vid at 34:07.

20. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie It's all fun&games 'til the flying monkeys show up Supporting Member

Media:
    Hey! It's got a squished frog on the head.

21. Avezzano

Avezzano

excellent video! So in the end the Gibson rep says it all: pay hommage to tradition while bringing out new stuff , also...