1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New gigging 4-900 watt amp - advice needed. Pairing with Mesa PH6x10

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Mandobass, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Mandobass

Mandobass

My current rig:
    Rickenbacker 4003 with flatwounds
    Sansamp RBI
    Crown XLS 1000 bridged
    Mesa Boogie Power House 6x10

Venues: 3-500 people. Mainly just for stage volume as we have PA support everywhere but bar gigs (and I DI through the PA for those smaller bar gig).

I play in a soul revival band (60s soul otis redding, wilson pickett, etc) but also occasionally play in a rock/garage/punk style band, so I need an amp with a good EQ that can cover some ground.

I generally like the sound more round and fat, but since I play flatwounds it's nice to have something that has a good punch so I get more definition in the sound.

I'm really happy with the Mesa 6x10. I'm not so happy with the Samsamp->Crown. Even though it's rated at 1000 watts bridged, I feel like it's not that strong. I'm having to crank it. I want more head room and generally a better sound. Something about the Sansamp->Crown just lacks in the tone department. Sterile sounding? I dunno.

So I'm looking into new amps - my main concern is reliability. I've had so many issues in the past 5 years. I LOVED the sound of the Eden WT400, but it crapped out once (at a gig), then I got it fixed, then it crapped out again (at another gig). So I'm wary of Eden. The WT800 looked good but I've heard some have issues.

Now, onto other amps that I'm curious about - SVT-3 Pro, SVT-7 Pro, GK 700RBII and GK 1001, Peavey Tour 750, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 or 9.0

My 6x10 is rated at 900 watts, so I want to give it as much juju as I can. I know GKs are more punchy modern sound, but I've heard they are mega reliable. I know with the EQ I'd probably be able to get a good tone.

What are your thoughts? Money is not a huge factor, and I'm willing to buy used. Again, main factor is reliability. Looking to spend anywhere from 4-600. Maybe a bit more, but if I can spend less let me know!

Cheers and thanks in advance for the input.
  2. paradog

paradog

earplugs!
  3. randyg

randyg Supporting Member

I had the same problem with the RBI into a Carvin DCM1500 poweramp. Spent all my time turning knobs and never found a good tone. Sold the RBI and bought an Ampeg SVP-CL preamp and presto , tone heaven. I run it through an Avatar 4-10 neo , an Ampeg 610hlf , or an old Peavey 2-15 with Kappalites and it sounds great with any of them.
  4. rekesbass

rekesbass

You already have the power amp and a good cabinet....look into better pre amps..maybe some tube pre to warm up the sound..
  5. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

GK all the way. Punchy & loud = GK. They sound great through Mesa as well...and great with a Ric :)
  6. randyg

randyg Supporting Member

I agree. Replace the RBI
  7. Mandobass

Mandobass

Thanks for the suggestions. I would like to try out an SVP CL to see if that would be something I'd be interested in. I have always loved the Ampeg tone, especially the old SVTs and V4b.

I will keep an eye out on that one. Any other stand-out products released in past 5 years or so I should know about? I haven't been keeping up with new gear.

Also looking at the Eden WP-100 preamp
  8. randyg

randyg Supporting Member

pm'd you
  9. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

I do agree that the RBI could be the problem, as I feel that it has a nice aggressive natural sounding tone to it. I'm currently running my rack rig (Crest Prolite 2.0 into two sansamp RBIs, one clean, one dirty) into my Mesa PH412, but my practice cab is a PH610 and I've been pretty happy with my rig. I'm playing hardcore in drop A and I feel that I get the tone I've been looking for forever with this gear.

If you're looking for a nice powerful power amp, you really have to check this Pro Lite 2.0 out. TONS of clean power and it's been reliable as ever since I got it. The only other pre I'd really like to give a try at this point would be two SVP CL's running the same dirty/clean rig.

[​IMG]
  10. Mandobass

Mandobass

Found a good deal on a 700RBII. Going to give that a try. Should arrive in a week. I'm also going to keep an eye out for some preamps to test with my Crown XLS 1000.

Thanks for the info
  11. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized fEARful/FEARLESS/greenboy designs builder
    I tried an XTI 1,000 and found it to be pretty gutless. That could be the culprit
  12. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

I had the Crown XTI 1000 with an RBI myself - sounded terrible. Not a lot of tone between 200hz and 700hz. Not sure which part was the true culprit, but the RBI, in my opinion, is great for overdrive and not a great clean bass tone. Unless scooped bass tones are what you love.

Eden Navigator is a good choice here.
  13. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

For the kind of music you play and your passive Ric, strung with flats, I think you should try a 300 watt tube amp. I have the new Fender SB 300 that I run through a 610 and it kills! A SVT or a Mesa 400+ would do you well. That set up would be crushingly awesome!
  14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of the Genz-Benz Shuttle and Shuttlemax amps, but you need to find a used one in your price range.
  15. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    The Sansamp just might not have the tone you are wanting/needing. You could try a different outboard pre perhaps with more mids. Maybe even a VT directly into your power amp (I don't own this pedal but if it has a "Line" setting you could run it full juice into your power amp).
    +1

I'd go with GK out of the options you were looking at. I am not a huge fan of solid state Ampegs in general (for me the SVT3/4 seemed to lack the muscle that I wanted). If you want a big fat rock sound the Mesa M-Pulse would be a killer match for your rig... can't go wrong with that head. It has a very nice onboard compression too.
  16. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

No doubt, I was using an M-Pulse 360 into my PH610 for a while and it was a killer head, the EQ and compression were really useful I just wanted to experiment with outboard pres.
  17. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

A PH610 was my main gigging cab for around 4 years - the best match with it *for me* was the M-pulse 600, but I also had a 700rb-II, and it worked really well with the PH610... A Streamliner 900 would work very well for your situation, too...

- georgestrings