1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New GK MBX 410 or used GK NEO 410????

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by trjazzluva05, Sep 27, 2010.

1. trjazzluva05

trjazzluva05

Hey folks, I'm looking into buying a GK 4x10 cab and looking at both of these cabinets. I got a chance to try them today at Guitar Center, and both are great cabs. The MBX 410 really surprised me!!! I thought it was going to sound "cheap", but it sounds really good!!! Nice crisp highs and punchy low end with that low-mid drive I love from 4x10s. The Neo 4x10 was great as well, only with a adjustable tweeter and more power handling, and that its used. The MBX I can buy new for 350+ tax and the Neo will cost me 380, but I would have to buy used and pay shipping and tax. All together that will cost me another 90 dollars on top of that. I'll be trading a GS212 toward it and GC will give me 375 for it. I have a GK MB2-500 bass head. I know the MBX is China made, but I would have a warranty. And the Neo has more power handling and better tweeter but its used. Any suggestions????
  2. rpsands

rpsands

Neo's a bigger box IIRC. Probably got a bit more low end available.

Why not find a Neo 410 new? The MBE-410 might be worth a shot too. Or the MBE212, doesn't really sound like a 212 to me :)
  3. trjazzluva05

trjazzluva05

I definitely would buy new, but money is tight right now. Played the MBX yesterday though, and it sounds really good. only thing that worries me is its performance at a gig in terms of its specified power handling. No more 12s for me right now...:) but if its in GC to try next time, i will. i'll have to save up for the Neo. Im a firm believer that you get what you pay for. kind of concerned with the affordable GK cabinets though. read the thread on the MBE 212 thread that they have no padding inside them. Wonder if its the same for the MBX cabs.
  4. rpsands

rpsands

Shine a flashlight in the ports and see!:)

Frankly I think the new ultralight cabs are neat and probably a pretty good deal, but as long as they are advising people ridiculous stuff like "our cabs are unlined for a reason" I can't recommend them except with the caveat that you should line them yourself.

I'd get the MBE over the MBX though, myself if I was going to get one of the new ones.
  5. trjazzluva05

trjazzluva05

Yeah next time i go to Guitar Center, ill have my flashlight handy....:bag::) lol yeah i read that on that thread....:scowl: I was thinking about the MBE 410, but my GC doest have them, nor do i think that theyre in stock just yet.
  6. DougD

DougD Bassman7654 Supporting Member

I can't speak to the MBX 410, but my Neo-410 IMHO stacks up well with any 410 on the market. sounds great with both my GK 1001RBII and may Markbass LMIII. If the Neo 410 is in good shape It get's my vote:)
  7. trjazzluva05

trjazzluva05

Hey man this word just in: I've just bought a like-new Neo 4x10 cab today. I traded my Aguilar GS212 for it. Can't wait to get it and match it up with my MB2-500 which should be here friday. The MBX sounded nice, but. Was skeptical of whether it could take a lot of power, not to mention it had no casters.
  8. rpsands

rpsands

Great trade man. Congrats :) You will love it I'm sure. The GK 410 is exactly what you've described going for...lots of punch and decent low end.
  9. trjazzluva05

trjazzluva05

Yes I'm excited man!!! I am a 4x10 kinda guy. I bought the GS 212 without ever trying it thinking it would give me the sound of a 4x10, without the bulky dimensions of a 4x10 cab, but it just wasn't for ME. No more getting lost in the mix now....
  10. trjazzluva05

trjazzluva05

Loving my new setup. My A07 M2-500, GK Neo 4X10 cab and my Aguilar Tone Hammer that i use to bypass the MB2 preamp because it sounds tighter and cleaner. Bought the cab used at GC for $350 in perfect shape. It sounds great and more importantly, have no problems of hearing myself in the band mix. here's a photo:

[​IMG]
  11. gregmon79

gregmon79 We've come to kill gods...... Supporting Member

Oh that's pretty!!! I really would like to get the 410 neo line. They sound like they may be able to handle more power. I already have an SBX plus and I think I want to supplement that with a neo 410. Either that or another SBX plus. I totally dig the low end on GK 410's. of course, I haven't actually jammed with the SBX in practice yet so only time will tell.