New Glockenklang Head - Blue Sky

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jazzy grille, Dec 6, 2013.

1. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard

Just saw on the interwebs that Glockenklang is dropping a new class D head.

- Class A input stage
    - semi-parametric mids
    - Class D poweramp
    - 700 watts @ 4 ohms (2.7 ohms version available too)
    - Comes with rack ears, mounted handles and our high-end powercable

Dimensions: 320 x 280 x 88 mm
    Weight: 5 kg; 11 lbs

Available: 9th of December

[​IMG]

2. jazzy grille

Not really sure why they are releasing this..

It's only 50W more @ 4ohms.. Compared to the Blue Soul.

3. KJung

KJung

Interesting. Basically, a Blue Soul with the mid and hi EQ bands (500 and 4K I think) replaced by a semi-parametric mid.

I would assume this would be a replacement for the Blue Soul.... +1 would make no sense to have them both on the market.

The only complaint that I am aware of with the Blue Soul is the lack of upper midrange EQ capability (I've talked to Dan Lenard about this in detail). This seems to take care of that nicely. Glock seems to be listening to us!

Not enough of a thing for me to want to swap my Blue Soul out for, but nice 'tweak' based on customer feedback. Kind of like the Markbass LMII to III update, where they basically just added a DI level and pre/post control. Just a nice tweak based on customer feedback on an already almost perfect amp.

4. KJung

KJung

Also... let's hope they changed the treble control shelving start point on this as part of the EQ modification. That 4K hi control was very useful.

Replacing the fixed 500hz or so mid with a semi-parametric is great. Eliminating the 4K hi control and having only the 12K shelving treble control would not be so great.

Let's hope they got it right. If they eliminated the 4K EQ band, and only kept the 12K shelving treble, I would not see this as an improvement, but just exchanging one minor issue for another.

IMO!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jazzy grille

Perhaps Tom can use his connections to get some feedback from Udo as to what their game plan is behind this head and if we are going to see the Blue Soul transitioned out.

Calling Tom Bowlus!

7. Menno

Menno Supporting Member

The input stage being class A is also a difference. Maybe this one will be in the Bass line instead of the Bassware line. Just guessing.

8. KJung

KJung

Not sure about that, since most preamps are class A as far as I know. However, that might be a difference also. Can't see how you could improve the quality of the current Blue Soul preamp though!

9. KJung

KJung

The best source would most likely be Dan Lenard, since my guess is he has had some significant input to the Glock guys based on feedback from users. He is on TB every once in a while. Maybe he will show up on this thread.

One thing for sure, I don't dig the 'not black' faceplace, which is Glock's signature look. Looks OK, just not 'Glockish'!

10. jazzy grille

Streetprice in the EU: 1430,- €

@Kjung, I agree.. I like their black faceplate as well.

11. KJung

KJung

That is a bit more than the MSR of the Blue Soul, which I believe is about 1300 Euro's or so. However, the selling price is a bit lower (I believe Dan sells them for about $1,750, so after discount, seems about the same price roughly.

Seems like just a minor upgrade of the Blue Soul unless the preamp/power section is a totally different design or something. Cool that they seem quite invested in the 'lightweight category'. The Blue Soul was definitely a home run (still loving mine), and if this is a bit better, then they will stay on the top of the heap for sure!

12. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    Looks sweet. Danger Will Robinson!!!

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Glockenklang is not discontinuing the Blue Soul. The Blue Sky is a companion product in their lineup, not a replacement. The main differences have been hit upon already (semi-parametric mids, slight power increase - same output module, though - input stage is now Class A, color, and handles). It is meant to be a bit closer to the Bass Art Classic.

14. DirtPoorRobins

DirtPoorRobins Supporting Member

I think the treble frequency will be between the two, 4k and 12k. I don't know exactly though. I should have one soon hopefully..... :)

15. DirtPoorRobins

I bet the price increase has to do with including the handles and the high end power cord.

16. MOSCOWBASS

MOSCOWBASS

I would have thought the blue soul would have a class A input stage, like all/most preamps?

17. KJung

KJung

Yeah, who knows. I thought class A for preamps was pretty much standard.

Strange decision by Glock IMO, but who knows. Seems like a very minor tweak, and that the cannibalization between those two units would be almost 100%. If they thought the semi-parametric mid was a huge deal, that would have been very easy to do with a 'Blue Soul II'.

Must be more going on with this.

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

If this is true than I may have to get one this year....the Bass Art Classic is my favorite amp, but too heavy to be practical for gigging.

19. KJung

KJung

+1. Great sounding head. It will be fun to hear this one! Hard to improve on the blue Soul, but if anyone could do it, it would be them!

20. DirtPoorRobins

Yeah, I can't wait to ab this new one against the blue soul.

21. spz8

spz8

Black face or black text, so you can actually read the controls. :rollno: Nice specs, but like many manufacturers, a graphic design fail.