New Gretsch short scale hollow body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassClefJean, Jul 31, 2012.

1. BassClefJean

BassClefJean

2. dlenaghan

dlenaghan Supporting Member

I've been trying to find demos of this on YouTube. I've given up on my search for a Starfire, and this seems more appealing than some of the Vox vintage offerings since it's got the set neck which I prefer.. but the sound, how's it sound? Can't find anything. I wish they'd name their basses instead of giving them these codes since it seems the codes get mixed up online. But they're made here, so maybe I can find one...
  3. rockscott

rockscott

I played one unplugged last week at a local shop, it felt really nice, did not have time to plug it in, or an extra $800. kicking around to bring it home!
  4. Avezzano

Avezzano

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

Yep! Plays just like the rest of the Electromatics - good for the money, not as good as the Japanese ones.
  7. Faraday

Faraday

Played it today, coincidentally at Elderly, where they also have the 34" version.

The short scale is very light, looks great, and sounds pretty good. The neck was comfortable for me - I have small hands - and the action was set up nicely. Seems like a decent bass, but for a few bucks more, I prefer the Reverend Dub King. YMMV.
  8. Bongolation

Bongolation

A lot of money for a Cor-Tek.
  9. KeithKlaxwell

KeithKlaxwell

For short hollowbodies I'm always looking for character! I've found the newer ones to be too clean and neutral sounding, exceptions would be the Hofner and Starfire reissues. Gretsch's are borderline for me, still too clean including this model but very well-made. For sub 1k I would suggest checking out a vintage Vox or EKO instead. Regardless, I can vouch for that Gretsch model feeling and playing great!
  10. depalm

depalm Supporting Member

I owned a Eastwood C4, bought it based on this video.
    Nice bass but came with lots of construction problems and I had to return it. Eastwood costumer service was just lame.

Bought a GRETSCH 5123-B Electromatic Bass, really nice instrument, very well constructed, sounds amazing. No problems with it.
  11. Avezzano

Avezzano

What in specific, if I am allowed to ask? Just curious, because mine is just perfect and I am impressed!
  12. dlenaghan

dlenaghan Supporting Member

Good point about vintages hollow bodies in the sub 1k range... Vox!! Or Hagstrom..
  13. FrednBass

FrednBass

Gotta love hollow-bodies!
  14. xray

xray

I don't know much about hollowbodies but is the shorter scale the more traditional style? Is 30" or 32" the prefered size?
  15. JFOC

JFOC

I **really** want one of these in black...

[​IMG]

I forsee a trip to GC in my near future to try one out
  16. pauliebass

pauliebass Supporting Member

Thread bump cuz these do look cool.
  17. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

I played one ..they do sound good but then i saw a Dipinto Belvedere Deluxe and fell in LOVE check ou t Dipintos