1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New guy from Lynchburg, VA area

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by AtomicZHP, Nov 24, 2013.

1. AtomicZHP

AtomicZHP

Hey everyone;

I'm Joe, and I've been playing music off and on since about 1990 (13 years of school, and then a lot of "off" up until a couple of years back). I owned (note that I didn't say "played"... because I was just a hack) an Ibanez SGR400 back when I was a teenager because the neighbors had a band and needed a bassist. That didn't last very long for me - I was too involved in marching band and other pursuits to really give it the time it deserved. Last year, I discovered Rocksmith, though, and it has soaked up a BUNCH of my time recently. I am playing on a fretless Ibanez ATK300, Korean made, from the mid 90s. I know fretless isn't the best choice for a first bass - let alone one for a music game that is looking for accurate pitch to determine your score - but I'm of the opinion that if you're going to ever learn anything, you might as well learn it all at once. I'm becoming quite comfortable with my fretting hand without looking at the neck, even when moving from say the 3rd fret up to the 9th, or even 15th. I am starting to recall some of my old music theory instruction (I played alto/tenor/bari sax for those first 13 years), and playing songs by ear/memory is becoming easier.

I have no aspirations of becoming a career musician; this is something that I'm doing for me because I love it. I certainly wouldn't mind getting together with locals and jamming, or maybe even playing out if we can hash something out, but I'm not delusional enough to believe that I am there yet.

Anyway, I hope that I learn a lot here - there are tons of knowledgeable musicians in the world, but not every forum is blessed with them. This one seems like it's the best bass-specific place to hang out on the web (came from /r/bass).