new guy/ new bass player.

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by wrapscallion, Dec 23, 2013.

1. wrapscallion

wrapscallion

I'm 42, getting my bass tomorrow.no excuse as to why I waited this long. My brother is going to teach me, as he knows how to play everything in existence. I know how to read music, as I played tuba , trombone, baritone, and valve trombone in high school. We want to start our own band, and carry on a musical legacy that includes an oak ridge boy, a writer of a famous rockin' Christmas song, and my own mandolin playing grandad. Any pointers for a beginner? And thanks for any replies.

2. AmmoSki

AmmoSki

Hi wrapscallion. I was 39 when I started playing bass. I wish I hadn't waited, too! Better late than never! What's helped me the most has been playing friends. I find that I improve at a much more rapid pace than when I just jam to my iPod. Sounds like you have the band in place. Also, while it's great to have some instruction, I recommend that you develop your own style of playing. Just do what comes naturally to you, and if you get stuck, your brother will probably have about 17 solutions for you. Have fun!