1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New guy, probably an old question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Concreteman, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Concreteman

Concreteman

I picked up a Gk 700RBII and a couple of the potentiometers (the "woofer" and "volume", as well as one of the equalization) are quite scratchy. I was told that I can get contact cleaner and shoot some inside, so i opened the case, and dont see anywhere to apply... Obviously I am not an electrician, but I think I can fix anything. Recommendations would be appreciated.

C

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Shoot it straight into the back of the pots. If you get a little on other stuff, it's OK, but there's usually a little hole you can stick the nozzle straw on. You might have to go looking for the pots, but they're there.

3. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I think the 700 is the same as the 1001 when it comes to cleaning the pots.
    It takes close to an hour to disassemble/reassemble those critters.
    You need to flip the preamp board over to get at the pots.
    That means removing all the knobs, nuts, screws, bolts, etc. on the front of the amp. If I remember correctly, you also need to remove a shield inside the amp.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    In that case, just spray it inside all over everything ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I almost took a hammer all over the insides. ;);)

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/cleaning-dirty-pots-gk-1001rb-ii-913883/ With pics...

8. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

First don't spray it all over everything. Good pot cleaner has lube in it and you don't want that all over everything. Look for a little square hole in the pot housing. If not there look at the area with 3 post that just might have wires attached to them. Spray there. And while you're there hit every pot. Also hit every in and out jack. Maybe go so far as to add a plug going in and out while cleaning.

Do this every six months or year. The local tech will hate you.

9. Codger

Codger Supporting Member

I was thinking Caig DN5 contact cleaner until I saw the F5 fader lube so was leaning toward that. Do I need both?

10. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Use the fader lube.

Some stuff simply labeled "contact cleaner" can be too harsh and damage pots. Other stuff labeled the same might be ok but it's hard to tell.

Fader lube, "tuner control" cleaner, or stuff that specifically states ok for use on potentiometers is ok. It shoukd have a little bit of oil mixed in with the cleaning chemical.

11. chadds

chadds

Fader Lube was Luke Skywalker's grandfather right?

12. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    I believe so. Tuner Control I think was the prototype for the Millenium Falcon.

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Yup...

- georgestrings

14. Concreteman

Concreteman

Much appreciation, guys. I thought Fader Lube was Jabbas sidekick!

Will report on my ventures with the head. It appears that removing the entire board is in my future.

C-man

15. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Get a flash light and use the tube that should have come with the spray. The less you disassemble the less you have to put back together and less chance of an error.

16. TheRealKong

TheRealKong

I have an Ibanez Promethean 5110 for sessions and gigs in small venues. The Master Volume - potis started scratching after 5 or 6 month. Because the pot is only scratching on the first 10% of its way, I see no need to fill it up with lube. Because the pot only scratches in real low volume settings.

If I want to practise in my living room, I just have to turn the knob some times in the scratchy aerea, and I am able to dial in all volumes I want.

Pots are kinda cheap. So it's a shame the factorys assemble the cheapest potis they can find. I don't think that good potis would raise the price so much you would notice...

I have some amps, some high quality ( but assembled in China, ha ha...) and some mediocre. So the only amp I have problems with scratchy pots is the newest one, the Ibanez Promethean.

No Problems with: Peavey T-Max, GenzBenz GBE 1200, Ampeg SVP Pro, Poweramp t-amp MK 1400 TX (Thoman cheapo), Markbass LM II, and 18 years of SWR Redhead - until the powersection died.