1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New Hampshire Bassists Club

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by hrodbert696, Dec 22, 2011.

1. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

If the brethren is Taxachusetts can do it, so can we. Playing bass in the Granite State? Sign up here. I'd love to hear where people are getting gear (especially since Daddy's closed), what everyone's gigging experiences have been, what kinds of set lists are working for Yankee crowds, where you teach or found a good teacher, and all that good networking kind of stuff. Maybe we can get a local GTG planned if there's interest. Anyone from neighboring states who play/teach/shop for gear in NH also welcome.

I'll start off and declare myself NH bassist club member #1 (or is that a protocol violation?). I live in Lee, play with projects in Manchester and in Exeter, and so far, being something of a newbie bassist (2 years and change playing), have only gotten out to a couple of open mics. I mostly rely on Earcraft Music in Dover and Craigslist for gear.

Come on and sign up!
  2. twocargar

twocargar Supporting Member

Hey there, I live in Chester. Since Daddy's closed I have to say I haven't been anywhere to buy, but I will probably end up going to Manchester Music Mill. I also buy, sell and trade on TB and CL.

My band doesn't gig, so I can't help you there.
  3. beatlebass64

beatlebass64

I am a proud NH bassist!

Keene, NH to be exact. Down here, we have both Cheshire Music and Retro Music. I would highly recommend Retro, and will provide you with a link to the site. Jeff (the owner) is a real cool guy and they have that walk in guitar shop vibe to it.

retroguitar.com used and vintage guitars and amps
  4. DrPieZon

DrPieZon

Groovin in the Granite State! :bassist:

Daddy's is gone (my last gear purchase was a used SWR Workingman 12 from them), but we still have Guitar Center, though I prefer to buy local/used most of the time.
  5. hrodbert696

Welcome, all!

twocargar - #2
    beatlebass64 - #3
    DrPieZon - #4

Ayuh.
  6. joemer

joemer

Sign me up. Bassist from Dover here. Play in a couple of classic rock bands and a blues/surf instrumental band. Usually shop on the internet, Gary's Guitar's and Ralph's House of Tone !!
  7. hrodbert696

joemer - #5. Welcome! Anyone have Christmas Eve/NYE gigs coming up?
  8. joemer

joemer

NYE gig in Hanover, Mass this year
  9. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Great! I just moved to Manchester myself. I'm actually a drummer primarily and looking to connect with musicians up here, so if anyone is looking to know another drummer send me a PM :)

Disclaimer - I'm not mentally ill, not broke, have reliable equipment, and know what dynamics are lol
  10. hrodbert696

Welcome to the Granite State! You're #6.
  11. hrodbert696

OK, question: can you or anyone explain Ralph's to me? Every musician in the area I talk to always talks about Ralph's rather than Earcraft down the street. The guy is nice enough but there's squat for selection in that store. So what's the secret? Is it noticeably better service, better tech, better what?
  12. jwbassman

jwbassman Supporting Member

Hey I grew up in Chester! My dad still lives there. In fact I'm heading to Chester tonight to drop off my son with him. They're going skiing tomorrow (Thurs.), Friday, Sat. and Sun. up at Sunapee. Lucky.

I currently live in Hooksett, NH. So put me in the club. :)
  13. fourstringdrums

So I guess once you're from Manchvegas, you're always from Manchvegas? :)
  14. jwbassman

LOL. I lived in Manch for 6 years. Just moved to Hooksett 2 years ago. Gotta drive through it everyday on the way to Nashua. My wife works at the Elliot Hospital in Manch.

I just updated my location to Hooksett LOL
  15. fourstringdrums

How far is hooksett from manc? I just moved up here myself. I'm a masshole transplant.

*edited to acknowledge my lack of brain cells at the moment this was posted.
  16. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Next town over!
  17. jwbassman

Hey stay out of here you Masshole ;)

Good to hear from you Kevin!? How are you doin'?

We could almost consider KPJ a honorary NH member since Methuen is on the MA/NH border.......
  18. jwbassman

Welcome!! Yeah, we're neighbors! We'll have to get together and jam sometime. Shoot me a PM. I've got to shut my computer down here at work we're going to be doing some maintenance here momentarily.
  19. fourstringdrums

Good lord am I having one of those days... I know where the %$^$ hooksett is lmao I actually live on Mammoth Rd/28A which borders it.

I tell ya... I think my brain read Suncook or some such brain fartery.

Will do :)
  20. Erich Bruning

Erich Bruning

Farmington area here, although I work in Manchester.

Used to play upright with a local band (mostly around the Seacoast/Durham area), but we've pretty much split up.

I have a local guy that runs a shop called Accel Music, that I try to support. He doesn't carry to much, but is willing to order. Also, there's Michael Charles music in Rochester. Also not a huge selection, but decent shop.

I've purchased from Earcraft in the past, and they aren't a bad shop. I also dig Ralphs House of Tone. They are much smaller, but the store has a good vibe.

Don't know of anywhere else in the area. I'm focusing a bit more on the bass guitar side of things over my upright, and am slowly getting some decent gear together, so I've been checking them all out.

Biggest problem for this area, is the small selection of instruments. Earcraft probably has the largest selection.