New Hartke LH500 and buzz

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Jkuespert, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Jkuespert

Jkuespert

I just purchased a new Hartke LH500 amp with a VX410 cab. I'm a bit surprised at the amount of buzz this rig generates with the volume past 5. Even with no instrument cable plugged in, its more than annoying.

I've found that if I turn the treble knob completely counterclockwise, the buzz diminishes, but certainly this isn't the solution.

Any advice on where I need to begin to correct this?
  2. madsheep#1

madsheep#1

I'd say it's faulty. Mine does not buzz at any volume. If you mean a bit of a 'hiss' at loud volumes then yes this would be natural but no 'buzz' from mine. Hope your problem is solved soon as these are great pieces of equipment.
  3. Jkuespert

Jkuespert

OK.. maybe buzz was the wrong word - yes, it is more of a loud hiss.

Unfortunately, this is my first rig, and I'm not certain if the hiss is normal. It seems to me to be overly loud at volume.

Again, if I turn the treble all the way down, it is completely silent.
  4. perogato02

perogato02

A hiss? A good chance it is the tweeter in the cab.
    Try the head with another cab, without a tweeter, and check out if it is still hissing.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hover

hover

Occasionally I would get a "hiss" with the treble boost on on that head, more often when there was "dirty" club power / or less than well shielded bass plugged in.
  7. bassphreak

bassphreak Supporting Member

Also, a flat eq setting is different on the LH series heads. It took me a long time to understand that. 'Flat is treble at like 2, mids at 8/9 and bass at 3 (I think). Turn the treble down too. I had a hiss with mine but it was the combination of the tweeter and my eq setting.
  8. Vandy

Vandy

"Technically" Hartke uses what most folks (& historians?) call a "Fender stack". Treble and bass pots are mainly boost, while the mid pot is a cut only device . . .
    Not sure if it applies to only their LH series amps (I own an LH1000) - it does not apply to the HyDrive combos (7-band EQ; no mid pot) . . .
  9. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

I run my LH1000 @ 3-10-0. If I need a little twink on the top end, I'll boost the highs to 2. I get some hiss if I really boost the highs, but I never run at those levels under normal circumstances. Somewhere around 2-10-2 is flat on these amps.