new here guys and gals! speaker question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by willychambo, Nov 21, 2012.

1. willychambo

willychambo

hey there people!

ive a quick question about my current 6x10 cabinet if someone has any thoughts!

ive just noticed that only the two two speakers in the cab move now on other combos ive had they all move with the same velocity, now is this normal in a 6x10 or should they all punch the same? ive never have one before so im worried it might not be putting out its full punch when playing.

thanks to anyone who has any insights!

2. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

They should all be moving the same. You could have a wiring problem (something came loose).

3. willychambo

willychambo

good i thought i was going mad! thanks a
    lot!!!!!

4. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

And BTW - welcome to TB!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Indeed welcome to TB. Try the battery test: Using a 1/4" Phone cable connected to the cabinet place a 9V battery across the tip and sleeve of the cable. The cones should all move in unison in the same direction. If they don't you have a problem that will need to be addressed. Let us know the result of the test. Usually with the positive pole of the battery connected to the tip of the plug the cones will move out away from the magnet structure.

7. Bmorefoozler

Bmorefoozler

Just a shot in the dark here...
    It is possible that you have a cab that was lazily designed, or re-designed.
    to get to 4 ohms with six drivers it either takes special drivers not found off the shelf, or seat of the pants engineering.
    It's possible that the bottom 4 are an 8 ohm load together, as is the top 2.
    For example someone could series/ parrallel 8 ohm drivers in the 4x10 and series wire a pair of 4 ohm drivers for the 2x10 portion. This would result in a 4 ohm cab with off the self drivers, and would cause those two drivers to piston far more then the other 4.

I can't remember off hand, but i seem to remember talk that one major manufacturer did this in the 80's and 90s.