1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New here, new to playing bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BassGoblin, Dec 11, 2013.

1. BassGoblin

BassGoblin

I've been playing guitar for around a thousand years. I'm very excited to get my first bass. I ordered it a few days ago through American Musical as their customer service has always been amazing and I've ordered about 10 guitars from them through the years and I haven't ever had any issues with them. I ordered an Ibanez SR1600E. Unfortunately its backordered for 2-4 weeks :spit: but I'll be sure to post some pics when it comes in!

Do you guys have any suggestions where to start learning?

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

You must be "a frustrated guitar player" to have taken up bass! - Just kidding.
    Take what you know from playing rhythm guitar and go from there. It's not like you're starting from square one! * * Welcome to the World of Bass * *

3. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

4. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Welcome BassGoblin! Love your name. You will find TB to be a very valuable resource in your bass journey, as well as a lot of fun.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RxFunk

RxFunk

Welcome to the low-end, Goblin. Those Ibbys have great sound, don't know if you have a bass amp yet, but you might wanna check out the amp subsection for some good suggestions. You're gonna love the bass, and be sure to put those pics up when it comes in, everyone loves a New Bass Day.

7. BassGoblin

BassGoblin

I don't have an amp yet. I'm probably going to just pick up a cheapy for the time being. I've got rocksmith for guitar, and I enjoy it and I think it'll be a great way for me to start getting a feel for it.

8. RxFunk

RxFunk

Rocksmith is fun too, especially if you wanna learn some rock songs pretty quickly. The amp I have is an Ampeg BA-108, 25w, great little amp for practice, they run $100 brand new. Pretty hard to beat IMO.

9. garp

garp

Start by listening. Don’t even need a bass for that.

Not sure what type of music you’re into, but a good way to spend those 2-4 weeks might be by identifying a couple of prominent pro players and listening to some of their better-known recorded works. If you need suggestions, there are plenty here on the site.

Then — when your Ibanez finally arrives — you can begin to figure out: “How did they do that?”

10. BassGoblin

BassGoblin

Awesome advice. 'listening' is what got me wanting to play bass. All kinds of people are listening to music that has very little actual guitar but pretty much everything has bass guitar in it.

11. Red_Label

Red_Label

Great point! I'm a 30-year lead guitar player who recently caught a case of the bass obsession. I've always been into all kinds of music, but most of it was very guitar-centric. I find myself going through whole listening sessions now of just music with very little guitar in it, but lots of bass. Same goes for playing along with music on my bass. I've been playing bass along with tons of old funk music, as well as tons of 80s dance/pop/synth music (ABC, Madonna, etc) and I've just been singling-out the bass lines to listen to after many years of not paying close attention to them. I've also noticed how my ears have automatically tuned to focusing on bass lines in TV jingles -- whereas I never really focused on that before now. So I'm hearing all kinds of new things and it's actually pretty cool to hear things in a new and fresh way after so many years of listening to and playing music.

12. BassGoblin

BassGoblin

Yea. I'm more interested in learning catchy bass stuff for now. While there are a lot of great bassists that interests me less than just jamming for now. I've been finding myself listening to more 'happy music'. Such as 'imagine dragons - on top of the world' whereas I grew up listening to metal such as in flames and children of boom. That's what makes me want to play. I just want to jam and be happy.

13. jefkritz

jefkritz

+1. IMO the bible of bass is the entire motown and stax collections. james jamerson & donald 'duck' dunn. so funky, but not overly flashy.

As you've played guitar for a while, I'll assume you know some theory (or at least enough to get by).

IMO the biggest transition from guitar to bass is a mental one. A lot of guitarists who play bass play too many notes. Counterpoints are great, but only if they serve the song. A true bass player can play three notes for an entire song without getting bored or sounding boring, because they're exploring every deep, dark recess of the groove, experimenting with seemingly minor variations that really drive the song.

Of course, sometimes when the song calls for it, you really do have to play a lot of notes :)

14. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Coming over from the 6 string........ Bottom four strings are the same.

Print this off. http://www.vancemusicstudios.com/resources/4s_bass_fingerboard.pdf

Song called to be in C. OK it'll probably use a I IV V progression. Look on the fretboard at the C on the A string, where is the F and G. Is that sweet? That was one of the big WOW's for me. Yep this can be fun.

Good luck.

15. Red_Label

Red_Label

Totally agree! As a life-long lead player whose guitar god throughout the 80s was Yngwie Malmsteen... I've not really gravitated towards the bass for most of my years as a musician. It wasn't flashy enough for me. And I never cared for over-the-top "lead bass" like Billy Sheehan's style. I always figured that if I ever got serious about bass, I'd lay down a huge, funky groove with a drummer the way bassists are "supposed to" and not be bored about it. And voila... after three decades of playing guitar I find myself ready to do just that. I'm excited by the subtle nuances and funky rhythms of great bass players and want emulate that. Sure, I'll throw in a pentatonic lick here or there outside the key beats of a song to make things interesting, but mostly I'm just staying in the pocket and laying-down a fat, driving bottom.

I recorded and gigged with an awesome bass player two years ago in a rock band that I was in who had mad technical skillz. The guy could play like Sheehan, and was one of the best technical musicians that I've ever worked with. But he strayed away from those bottom too strings far too often and for too long and it's been a consistent gripe of the bands he's been in. He really should be a lead player. It was always very noticeable when he'd leave the fat strings and doodle around up high. If I'd have had my 7-string guitar when I was in that band, I would have laid-down some fat rhythms with that more of the time just to cover during his trebly wanderings.

I certainly like some "busy" bass players ala Geddy Lee, but at least he's still always driving the bottom end. :bassist: