1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New Heritage SVT Acting Weird

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bluzeman90, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Bluzeman90

Bluzeman90

Hey guys, I just got my heritage svt and when I got it, plugged it into the wall, speakon to the 810e, let it warm up on standby for couple minutes. Then I start playing it for about 10 minutes, fault light. Dang! Flip power off, check everything, turn on in standby, let it warm up, flip off standby, loud hum for 10 seconds then fault. Uh oh.

So curiosity got me, did it once more, in standby, tubes look good. Flip off standby, back left tube glows bright blue, fault.

Take to "certified service center" tech looks at it. Three hours on the bench and nothing with sign waves at volume. Guy said could be cable or speaker going bad (don't remember exact words). I'm wondering if my 2 month old speakon or cabinet has a problem. I'm more inclined to think cable, cabinet works with my musicman hd130 and 1/4 inch without problem.

Just wondering if there could be something I'm missing. I used the speakon with Peavey ipr 3000 no problem with same cabinet (and others).

Any advice would be great, i get the amp back Thursday but would like to trouble shoot first.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sounds like a tube issue to me. If you just got it, the tubes should still be under warranty. I'd call Ampeg directly and ask about it. Speak to Hodgy if you can.
  3. The_Robster

The_Robster

The exact same thing happened with my svt cl heritage that I recently got. Had to send it back and get it fixed. It even did it once more after I got it back but hasn't since. I keep it plugged into a surge protector always now though just in case. I had all the tubes tested and it wasn't that. They never did tell me what the issue was but it works great now. Best sounding amp I've ever used.
  4. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

I once had an SVT-CL and at one place in particular it went into the fault mode twice in a row, when I brought it home from the gig I fired it up to do some trouble shooting only it was working fine. I think it didn't like the power it was getting from the wall, my theory is I was on the same circuit as the stage lighting. Might be worth it to try it through an outlet on a different breaker just in case it's something that simple.
  5. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

mine had a tube that was cracked when i got it and ampeg sent me a new set of tubes. tubes break in shipping sometimes. call ampeg. their customer service is great.
  6. Bluzeman90

Bluzeman90

Thanks guys, I'm in an older house so electricity could be an issue. Didn't know these things are so power hungry! I'll try that out as soon as I get them back. These things seem kind of sensitive...
  7. Bluzeman90

Bluzeman90

Hey Jimmy, you think it could still be a tube issue after 3 hours of the tech trying to get it to fault? I'd figure dead tube equals dead tube, but I really don't know any better.

I'm bringing the whole rig when I go to pick up the svt. Figured if it works there, perfect, but I'd rather not make the trip twice
  8. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty Supporting Member

I had the same issue. They told me it was a tube issue.

I happened to have another set of tubes around. So I tried those. Same issue.

Sent it back. Bought used. Been happier ever since. I am truly sorry to hear that you are going through it. I went through the same cycle of absolute excitement to despair. You got a better price than I managed though.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Yeah, you make a point. Usually that's the way it works. I would call Ampeg before I did anything, though. Maybe they can talk to your dude at the repair shop and figure something out.
  10. Mosfed

I hate to say that Ampeg was about as helpful as a toothache. I didn't speak to Hodgy though.

I called, reported the issue, brand new out of the box. They suggested it was a tube issue. I told them I had an extra set of tubes and should I try them? They said, yes, and if the issue is the tubes we will send you a new set. So I hang up, change all the tubes, turn it back on, same issue. Call them back. Answer = you are going to have to send it in.

In fact, they told me, that if I brought it to my tech and he wasn't an "Ampeg Certified Tech" it would void my warranty.

So back in the box it went and seeeeeee ya.
  11. Mosfed

Dude - I don't think it's the electricity. I have played in some pretty beat down places with SVTs in the past.
  12. jamminology101

jamminology101 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    Unless they were rude to you, I dont see anything else they could have done but ask for it back to fix it...
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Exactly what I was going to say. Mosfed, I don't blame them for voiding the warranty if your tech isn't authorized. There's a reason they have that program....what if the tech you take it to sucks and does something really dumb or unsafe? Authorizing techs doesn't get rid of all the bad techs, but it does screen the most incompetent of them out and offers you a level of protection against them if they butcher the job.
  14. Bluzeman90

Bluzeman90

Yeah, that was my thought initially, but after some research, it appears some people only have issues with particular outlets or places. A simple change of an outlet would be a great fix, I just don't see how it could be a problem with the amp if it works for the tech.

I think the authorized tech idea is good, it seems to keep accountability on ampeg, which I'm all about when there's a problem. Now, if the problem persists, it's on ampeg's dime, not mine. But I will have a heritage svt darn it! I'm just confused as to what is causing it if it isn't a tube, etc.
  15. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

The reason warranty exists is any of the parts used to build/assemble it can fail. If they make it past the warranty period 99.9% sure all those little parts will be solid for many years. Could be as simple as a intermittent solder joint, with so many joints to inspect one can get missed. IMO/IME
  16. Bluzeman90

Bluzeman90

Ha! You are correct. I just have to use it all the time in as many circumstances as possible to work out as many kinks as I can find. I kinda hope it was just the power outlet
  17. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

THAT is the fun part ;)
  18. Mosfed

Fair enough gents.

My hope had been that I could figure out some quicker fix than having to send the amp back.

I guess the more annoying thing is that Ampeg didn't have a single "certified" tech in all of central London. It's not like we aren't a city of 13 million people with a ton of bassists.
  19. Bluzeman90

Bluzeman90

Got the heritage back today, plugged it into a different outlet, boom! Fantastic performance! It even sounds better!

Followed the original outlet, that circuit has the water pump and water heater on it, plus the garage door. That could do it, I guess.

Oh well, all is well that ends well.

Mosfed, sorry to hear your predicament, maybe one of your local techs would be willing to get screened for ampeg, that could increase their customer bass :rolleyes: