New Hofner 500/1 CT violin bass model?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Troels Schmidt, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Troels Schmidt

Troels Schmidt

Two days ago I paid a visit to "my" music store and had a litte chat with the boss... and he told me that a new violin bass model is on it's way from Höfner China: 500/1 CT "Vintage"... It should be priced close to the "standard" VB CT- but he wasn't aware of any particular detailes - except they still share the sustain block. He had just shortly touched one. Anybody heard anything about this animal... including the differences (as the one I've got is already quite vintage...)?

I've checked Hofner site but nothing seems to have changed there (yet...).
  2. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Sounds cool.
  3. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35

This is news to me, but the best to ask Hofner. Over the years I have talked to a few reps at Hofner Germany and have gotten first hand info that often contradicts what someone said here... I would go there first.

EDIT: I emailed a Hofner insider. I will let you know what I find out.
  4. Treadstone71

Treadstone71

I heard about this too...apparently it will have the close pup spacing like the 61 "Cavern" basses.
  5. Troels Schmidt

Troels Schmidt

Thank you, that's grreat ;) The only differences I can think of compared to the "normal" CT would be tea cups, white switches and German pick guard/panel in slightly more colored celluloid... All other details are already "vintage" as far as I can see...
  6. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35

Actually, this may be what I've already seen at Sam Ash. I was in there a week ago and the CT they had in stock had a very thin finish, just like a German bass and the pearloids while not exact were very yellow. Hmmm...this makes sense now. It still had black switches and knobs though, but that doesn't matter much, easily changed.
  7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

If you want a vintage look have Peacefrog35 give you some tips his work is phenomenal. I bought a gorgeous CT (Lucy) from him and it's the best Hofner I've heard it's my baby and it cured my gas for a vintage one right away. I would pass if it's more than $100.00.
  8. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35

Hey Mjac my friend. I'm glad you are still enjoying the bass!!!!

Oh and I confirmed though a rep in Hofner Germany through Facebook that there are no plans for a new CT Vintage model. With that said, they have definitely improved the finish so any upgrades to the line really aren't needed IMO. If you haven't tried one of the Cavern CTs they are fantastic and are as far as I know the only CTs to come with flats and without the Contemporary designator on the TRC. Hofner Contemporaries are great basses and as the Hofner Violin story confirms, now we know why they are so good being made on the same jigs and equipment. Again, Hofner reps confirmed this. Very cool Hofner!
  9. mcarp555

mcarp555

Hey Doug, are they making those Cavern CTs left-handed as well?
  10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Hello my friend !!great info you are definitely the go to person when it comes to anything Hofner I was wondering if you had a Cavern? how different is the sound?
  11. Troels Schmidt

Troels Schmidt

Hmmm... my problem is now, that the store owner I refered to had already tried this CT called "vintage"... We had a chat about a lefthanded CT he had in the his store, and I told him I'd like another CT - and he told me about this new "vintage" - and he even mentioned a retail price (close to the CT we already know). That's rather strange actually - as he is known be a bit of a bassguitar expert here in DK... I'll go and see him again in near future and will ask more questions.
  12. SirMjac28

It could be something for the overseas market?
  13. Troels Schmidt

Troels Schmidt

Hmmm... Yes.. but Hofner in Germany should know, shouldn't they? The moment he told me I actually thought it was a bit strange as the 500/1 CT is already quite vintage like. He described it as having a "good feel" - so maybe there can be some misunderstandings because of maybe a thinner, more vintagelike finish... a bit of a mystery. It could as well be something for the Eruopean market - but it's hard to get the idea why? :cool:
  14. SirMjac28

Now I'm really curious.
  15. wingmanborge

wingmanborge

Is it not the difference between the ct and the ignition he might be talking about?
    That the ct has a more vintage sound due to the vintage finish?