1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New Hofner "HCT-GLB-BL Galaxy" Bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mastermold, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Firemelon
  2. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Firemelon
    **bumping**

No one here has seen or played one of these??

3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

They're made in China. I think that says it all.

But if you must own a bass that has a Hofner logo on it and don't have much money to spend, then this is the bass for you.

Do yourself a favour and avoid.

TD

4. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

I think this is where a lot of people get a chance to understand why Hofner's other models never gained a following outside Europe.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ivarrr

Ivarrr

I've played plenty of instruments from China, I have a guitar and an SX and they're both Chinese and amazing. Country of origin doesn't mean as much as it used to.

That being said, this bass reminds me of an old Teisco or Kay. I like it alot.

7. faust23

faust23

looks alot like a global im reconstructing

8. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    Total ripoff of a late '60's Hagstrom I briefly owned. The Hagstrom was also crap.

9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Based on the workmanship I've seen in Korean and Chinese basses, I'd buy one any time. In fact, I have! I think that's a cool looking bass, and probably a decent buy at the price.

10. Jjango

Jjango

11. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Actually the Hagstrom may be a rip of these! Hofner started the originals of these in '62 or so, which I believe predates Hagstrom by a few years.

12. D.M.N.

D.M.N.

There's two down in Bass NW in Seattle. They look pretty cool, really 60s-garage-rock look. I dig the looks, especially the Galaxie. Looking forward to hearing a review.

13. erik_ghoulet

erik_ghoulet

I also own a Made In China instrument that I'm quite happy with. That bass looks cool...I've wanted to check out a solid-body short-scale Hofner-style bass for a while. There's a Norwegian beat band called Peter Berry and the Shake Set. Their bass player is outstanding and I believe I've seen him pictured playing one (though his is probably an original from the 60's.)

14. Spleenface92

Spleenface92

I'd buy it. Just to have it.

15. chadsaylor

chadsaylor

I recently bought one of these and it's amazing! The maple neck is smooth and plays great. I own a beatle bass and a sx jazz and this one beats them all. I'm running it through a acoustic b450 2x10 bridged with a acoustic 1x15 cab and it rocks.

16. PWRL

PWRL

I just got one. It's a fun, funky little bass with a punchy sound. Plays really well after some minor setup and just needs the right strings. It has personality, and it's really easy to play.

17. jwarm

jwarm

I bought one of these Hofner Galaxie basses recently, just to try it out. I already have 4 Hofner basses; 2 German hand-mades and 2 Cont. China mades so I wanted to check out the Galaxie. I love the look and the finish of this little Galaxie. I got the blue one. It is really sweet to play and has a great feel but I must be honest and say I don't care for the tone. It advertises that it has the Hofner staple pickups on it but they don't sound as good as my HCT Club or Beatle bass. I checked with Rob Olsen from Hofner and he said these Galaxies have the same pickups that come on the Icon series basses.

So, I think it is a great looking and handling bass but not the best tone, probably like what a bass from Sears would sound like.

Jeff

18. ProfGumby

ProfGumby Supporting Member

So, do tell...what are the right strings?

:cool:

19. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    This is very similar to a model Hofner Artist bass produced in the mid-1960s. They made a similar model that had a control plate identical to the Beatle bass. (see pic) They produced an even cheaper version of this bass under the Gagliano name. The Gagliano was my second bass, in 1966 -- a step up from the singlecut Kay I got from the Spiegel's catalog in 1965. The bridge cover in this pic apparently is na add-on. Mine didn't have one, but "Hofner" was stamped into the bridge plate and the pickups were identical to the Beatle Bass staple top PUPs.The bass actually sounded pretty good, although it could in no way compare to the '59 Fender P Bass I bought in 1967.

Attached Files:

20. RonChase

RonChase

I played one it was seafoam green or light blue played good

21. ProfGumby

ProfGumby Supporting Member