1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New Ibanez Premium is noisy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tristan, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Tristan

Tristan

I ordered and just received 4 string Ibanez Premium SR1200.

I don't think this thing is shielded enough. Its got that touch the strings, kill the buzz thing. Its not that loud, so if it were only audible when I wasn't playing it wouldn't be so bad, but sometimes if I slide my left hand while playing it makes a static crackle (I guess it is going lightly in and out of contact with the strings).

I think I am going to send it back.

Any tips or tricks to try before I do? The bass plays and sounds great otherwise, but I don't think I want to go foil-McGuyver on a new bass.

2. Bobster

Bobster

I think you hit it right on the money. If it quits buzzing when you touch the strings, that's insufficient shielding.

You can try copper grounding tape or shielding paint.

All the best,

Bob

3. progrmr

progrmr

if you bought this new - send it back...no reason to pay good money and get something that buzzes like a $200 bass.

4. Tristan

Tristan

Yup, I think thats the conclusion. I was playing sliding double stops and it sounded like a freshly milked bowl of rice krispies.

Thanks guys.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

Yeah... I've tried several new Ibanez in the stores lately. I like the feel and string spacing, but some of them have nasty electronics. I don't know whether it's a general design problem, or quality control issues.

7. mfbolton

mfbolton Bassist for The Dam Dams Supporting Member

I've had no problems with my SR1206. A little hum when I solo a pickup, but that should be expected in a single coil pickup. What is the power situation where you are playing? Any chance of dirty power?

8. Tristan

Tristan

Its not just the single coil issue and I think my power is OK. I just pulled out my Yamaha BBN4 (15 year old budget bass with singlecoils) and while there is a very slight shielding buzz issue, the Ibanez is much, much worse. The Music Man SUB I just sold had no issue at all and my EMG equipped Godin is dead quiet.

This really sucks. I appreciate knowing that they don't all have this issue. Looks like this one left the factory in Sept. 2011.

9. Jorn

Jorn

I just bought an Ibanez SR1200 bass. The bass also had a lot of ground noise. I went to the music store and they said it was the coated strings that made the grounding noise.

Why delivers Ibanez the bass with coated Elixir strings when it's making ground noise? Or is there something wrong with the bass?

10. mystic38

mystic38

@Tristan

I have a new (2011 manufactured) SR1200 and nope it is not noisy.

@Jorn

The music store was feeding you B.S. to try to encourage you to keep it.

Both
    The wiring and shielding on these bass's is to a high standard, everything is grounded and shielded so if there is a problem with noise or significant hum (with blend centred) then it is likely a faulty unit and it is not your responsibility to open it up and attempt to fix it...So if you have any form of return period then simply return the bass for replacement or refund.

11. Wallace320

Wallace320

I once had both Sr1200e Premium and SrXxv Anniversary Premium (the very same bass, except Padauk top on Xxv Anniversary, whereas Sr1200e has ovangkol top) and even if I played them thru a full pedalboard with dual overdrive channel no noise:) (but I always install a compressor first in the chain)

Just return it, proverbial "lemon" IMHO

Cheers,
    Wallace

12. Jorn

Jorn

Thank you for your answers. I Will contact the music store.

13. Thombas

Thombas Supporting Member

I've used those coated Elixirs for a total of 4-5 years during the last 9 years on a btb, with no buzz whatsoever. I don't believe it's the strings causing it.

14. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Yeah I was thinking the same. Sounds like a bad quality control.. I don't understand why some basses from Ibanez have this. The electronics on the Premium and Prestige are good, but of course it's importnant to check the quality before it leaves the factory.

15. Wwolof

Wwolof

16. Jorn

Jorn

In the music store, they put some DR strings on which minimized the grounding noise
    I'm not satisfied because I think Elixir strings were both better to play and the sound was better.
    In addition a potentiometer is scratchy. The bass is only 3 months.

17. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

There should be no buzz/ground noise whatsoever. Ibbys (and especially Premiums) are normally dead quiet.

Was this a brand new in the box instrument, an open box one, or maybe a B stock?

I don't think the QC dropped all of a sudden (especially considering it's a Premium model); maybe there's an issue with the distributors trying to pass some returned instruments or something like that...

18. Jorn

Jorn

I bought the bass as new. Last friday I borrowed an Ibanez SR500 in the music store.
    The protective plastic on top of the pickups, was still on this bass.

This protective plastic was removed from my SR1200 and the bass should come
    directly from the supplier.

There was NO noise at this SR500 bass that I have borrowed!!!

I'm worried by allowing them to repair the bass. If they not
    corrected all the errors and the problems continue.

My question is now:

Should I demand that they replace the bass to a new SR1200?

or should I let them try to repair the bass and put Elixir strings on again?

19. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Well you bought the bass new, so they should repair it for you without asking money for it ;)

You buy something expensive, so it should arrive without any kind of problems. If it does, then they are responsable to take care of it. If it's about repairing or even giving you a new bass is actually something were you shouldn't be involved with.

20. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

Again, Premiums should be dead quiet. If that's not the case something is wrong with that instrument.

On the other hand "new" means factory shipped new, unopened box. If it's not in that state, than the retailer has messed with it and you can't guarantee it's not their fault (it usually is) and not the manufacturer's. AFAIK Ibanez' QC for Premiums is very strict, they have a factory specially built for that, ppl specially trained to put them together and so on. So I don't know, chances to let such an ammount of faulty instruments to pass QC and hit the stores seems a bit odd to me...

21. Tristan

Tristan

The bass was 100% new in box with Ibanez tape seal etcetc. I took it back for an exchange.

The next one had horrible fret and neck issues.

Their QC definitely has problems.

Tristan