1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

new in DB, need advice

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by dudi8, Jan 10, 2014.

1. dudi8

dudi8 Supporting Member

Hi!
    I'm just getting an upright, and i want to amplify it, what should i buy? a microphone,pickup? whats the difference? whats the best?

i have a Puma 900 amplifier

thanks for the help!

2. Michael Case

Michael Case

Hello and welcome to the dark side. As for mic vs. pick up that's a big question that you can read a lot about hear:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f4/am...lease-read-before-posting-newbie-links-43100/

I don't know what a Puma 900 is, sounds like it might be an electric bass amp and not well suited for use with the double bass. Anyway, I would start with a pick up. Recommendations will be varied, many of us have found the pick up that works for our purposes.

Since you're new to the double bass I would suggest you spend some time with the instrument and not worry about amplification yet. Getting a good acoustic sound from the bass is the first step towards getting a good amplified sound.

Have fun with the bass!

3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Dudi 8,
    There are no absolutes when it comes to the best, because it's different for everyone. In general, microphones are more accurate and articulate, than pickups, but they will all eventually feedback and cost more than most pickups. For someone just starting out, a pickup is easier to use and yields better results.

Ric