New Jaco album?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bound'n'blocked, Mar 6, 2014.

1. bound'n'blocked

bound'n'blocked

I've never listened to a note of Jaco's music (dont kill me please, I just haven't). However, I work in radio, and one of the perks of the job is I have access to a music service to download the music we use in our format, and it's free. Each week they send out a mailer of some of the new material available and I usually check it out. There are all styles, not just what I need. This month, there was a Jaco Pastorious release in there. For those of you who are more familiar with his work, I'll post what the description of the release says...

Jaco Pastorius – Modern American Music . . . Period! The Criteria Sessions

Jaco Pastorius’ 1976 debut set a new standard in both jazz and the electric bass guitar. Many of the tracks on that eponymous album had their genesis when a 22-year-old Pastorius and friends used after-hours time at Criteria Studios to work out new songs and jam. Eventually six of those songs were transferred to acetate. Many of the songs found their way onto the debut album, and others remained unreleased until now. Omnivore’s Modern American Music . . . Period! The Criteria Sessions, produced in conjunction with the Pastorius estate and Metallica’s Robert Trujillo, contains 11 revolutionary tracks plus essays from Trujillo and Pastorius biographer Bill Milkowski. The original six-song acetate is being expanded and reproduced for RSD on CD and multi-colored LP with a download card for the entire CD program (to be released on the same day) as well as an insert with both essays and rare photos. The material was unearthed and restored in conjunction with the upcoming documentary Jaco (directed by Stephen Kijak and produced by Trujillo and John Battsek), the official Record Store Day film for 2014.

According to Trujillo: “Omnivore’s release of Jaco Pastorius’ ‘Criteria Sessions’ is a raw unique statement — a statement that lets you know you are experiencing a powerful historical musical moment. Jaco’s sound, and facility alone, take you on a trip that is totally new and fresh! This is punk at it’s best, and the attitude and edge is pure.”

Record Store’s Michael Kurtz said: “I fell in love with Jaco Pastorius in 1976 when I heard Weather Report’s Black Market being played in my local record store. In 1977 I caught the band on its Heavy Weather tour and heard Jaco perform live. It was like I had been exposed to a force bigger than life. Performing on the Fender bass he’d personally stripped of frets, Jaco propelled the band with ferocity and finesse. He was shirtless, with an axe bold as love. Thirty-seven years later it is a dream come true to be a part of helping Omnivore unearth and release the recording of a very young Jaco performing with his own band in Miami’s Criteria Studios.”

Mary Pastorius, Jaco’s daughter, added: “Once I allowed the memories associated with records to come in, it was like opening the proverbial floodgates — especially so when I started looking through my own records, having a visceral sensory overload experience with every one. Them records is powerful stuff!”

Thought I'd pass this along...May be a chance for me get to hear some of his stuff now.

BnB

2. JimK

JimK

Thanks...had not heard about this.
    Looks like it's demos/rarities.
    http://jazztimes.com/articles/120967-jaco-pastorius-demos-to-be-released-for-record-store-day

On a tangent, Bass Player mag (2-3 years back) ran a feature on some early Jaco recordings...an album from his time with Tommy Strand & the Upper hand, an album with Woodchuck, an album with Ira Sullivan, The C.C. Riders, etc.
    IIRC, these were part of Bob Bobbings stash.
    ...not sure what ever happened to those releases.

3. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self! Supporting Member

No need for you to be killed, but I would just ask... aren't you curious? Why deprive yourself?

4. bound'n'blocked

bound'n'blocked

You know, I really dont know why. I wasnt familiar with him before i started playing bass about 6 years ago. I had just seen pictures of him in ads in magazines. I'm sure I'll take the opportunity to check him out now on this release.

BnB

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

treat yourself.

7. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

Haven't been able to find a link to buy it yet.

8. JimK

JimK

…the link I posted mentions April 19th as a release date.

9. Itzayana

Itzayana

Check out Weather Report's track BIRDLAND.

10. Ryan Donahue

Ryan Donahue

The April 19th release date is because it is being released for Record Store Day. I noticed this pop up in CD/LP format on one of the RSD rumor sites. I plan on picking this up on the 19th.

11. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I was hoping for a preorder so I don't forget.;)

12. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self! Supporting Member

Here's two versions:
    Studio version, from Heavy Weather

13. bassdog

bassdog

"Live version, 1978, more of a shuffle feel. Over 3 million views!"

Chill bumps!