1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New Joe Barden Rickenbacker Replacement Pickups!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ric4682, Apr 2, 2011.

1. ric4682

ric4682

2. NecroticImbecil

NecroticImbecil

I've only heard his Mouradian pickups, but they're very nice.

FWIW the best sounding Ric I've ever been within 50 feet of was my old 4001 after I put the Bartolini replacements in it. I think the Mouradian with its Bardens sounded better, but there lots of other differences besides the pickups that could account for that. Sold the Ric, kept the Bartolinis, and have had them in a few basses since then. So far they've sounded excellent in all of them, passive or active (used w/Bartolini, Demeter, and Aguilar preamps so far).

3. ric4682

ric4682

Thanks, I'm really looking into the barts because I heard they sound much better than the duncans but I really don't want to lose that growl I get from my ric. I understand they aren't supposed to sound exactly like ric pickups which is the only reason I haven't bought them yet. I'm really interested to see how these new bardens compare to the stock hi-gains.

4. vbd

vbd

Interesting, and good to know we have that option.:)
    But would interesting hear some examples... The bridge look a Seymour Duncan SRB-1

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TattooBass

TattooBass

I saw the joe bardens. I called them to get some info. But Im waiting for them to call back. Id be very interested to know what they sound like. I love the look of a rick but Id like a more modern sound.
    The other option im looking at is
    Barts split coil rick pickup.
    Does it have the power of a P style pickup? or not really?

I bought my first rickenbacker today.

7. TattooBass

TattooBass

Order a set of Joe barden r4000 pickups today. After talking to frank at barden.
    Once I get them in I'm going to record a before and after on my 08 4003.

So be on the look out.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Just beware of Bardens customer service. I bought some new Barden Strat pickups and they did not have any tape around the coils to protect the wires. I figured he just put some kind of clear protection on them so I proceeded to install them, and of course they came apart. He refused to replace or rewind the pickups because I attempted to install them. Absolutely a joke for 'high end' pickups. I understand why he's gone out of business. I'll never touch another Barden.

9. TattooBass

TattooBass

Thanks for the heads up. But I was very pleased with frank the president of bardens customer service.

I've had nothing but great products from barden in the past. I've owned p and j pickups from them. No problems at all.

I'm looking forward to hearing these Rick p/u

10. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Please do post clips when you get them. I'm interested in how they compare to stocks.

11. ric4682

ric4682

12. TattooBass

TattooBass

Yea I'll post them on my reverbnation.
    I'm going to do simple stuff like
    Before with a pick finger and slap
    And after of those.

I got the testimonials sent to me from barden and I'm excited. They should be here tomorrow or sat.

I've heard duncans and weren't impressed also heard Barts and they were cool but not a direct replacement for the treble pickup.

The bardens are direct replacements for the Rick. So you can use it with the bezel.

13. TattooBass

TattooBass

got the pickups installed in my 08 4003. they are dead quiet. Good output after making a few adjustments.
    still has a rick growl. but even string response and smoother tone. wish maybe just a little bit hotter output.

Ill record some simple samples and post them this week.

14. MusicBear

MusicBear

I've used Bartolini pickups in my 4001 since shortly after I purchased it in '80. I have a pair of single coil [6S] (RW/RP) pickups plus a mute-compartment pickup added to the treble-pickup channel with an On/Off switch. All of these pickups are extremely quiet. It has the classic 4001 growl, without any noise. The mute-compartment pickup adds amazing brightness when needed with surprising fullness for a pickup so close to the bridge.

15. TattooBass

TattooBass

Do they make a bart that fits in the treble pickup bezel? Everybody I've seen had a plate made.

16. MusicBear

MusicBear

I do not know if a (Bartolini) treble pickup mounting plate is included nowadays (I don't think so, but don't quote me); at the time I bought mine I made my own mounting plate. Quite easy - from a scrap of black Plexiglas.

17. NecroticImbecil

NecroticImbecil

It was years ago now, but I had the basic 2 pickup Bartolini Ric replacement set. No difficulty using the bridge pickup as a direct relacement for the stock, with original bezel and pickup cover. People on TB like to throw the pickup cover and bezel away, and order a plastic plate to replace it.

Thanks Musicbear for the comments on the mute compartment pickup. Always wondered what that sounded like, but I liked the mute too much to try one.

18. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I have been playing Rickenbackers since 1973. I have owned a lot of Rics with a lot of different pickups. I have tried the Seymour Duncan and Bartolini Rick replacement pickups. Neither were very Rick sounding.

Well today a 2010 Rick bass came to me for a little work and it has the Joe Barden pickups. Well to my surprise they retain about 85% of the Rick single coil tone. The bridge pickup is awesome. The neck pickup is OK.

19. MusicBear

MusicBear

Ric5, do you remember which Bartolini pickups you played?

The newer Rickenbacker replacements currently listed on their website are either end-to-end hum-canceling (6T) or full-out humbucking (6C).

The older Bartolini pickups I installed in my bass are single coil (6S) in a north-up / south-up pairing. I would expect the 6T/6C pickups to sound different - and this is why I chose the single coil models.

(By installing the paired pickups and shielding the interior of my bass noise has never been an issue.)
    :bassist:

20. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

The barts were humbuckers ... and they lacked personality. They got sold on ebay.

21. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I still really like these 2 Rics of mine. The pickups and electronics sound really good on both of these basses.

This one has a bridge pickup make by Sergio in Portugal and stacked pots.
    [​IMG]

This one has a Seynour Duncan hot jazz single coil pickup and an audere 4 band preamp.
    [​IMG]