New Kala acoustic/electric

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by klaatu, Jan 21, 2014.

1. klaatu

klaatu

I've seen some pictures of the new Kala acoustic/electric UBass on their Facebook page. They have 3 knobs for volume/bass and treble just like the solid body. Looking forward to them becoming available. I have one of the solid body and want to get an acoustic/electric. These new models look very nice!

2. davewave

davewave Old and in the way... Supporting Member

That appears to be the fabled new California custom shop acoustic model.

They look very nice, maybe one will show up at NAMM this week.

3. jburtonca

jburtonca

The wood on those new U-Basses is phenomenal. Why are they spoiling the appearance with knobs? I suggest they use a Mi-Si Align XT system, similar to what Taylor uses. Low profile knobs on the top side near the neck. Large knobs on the top impede it's ability to resonate and can get snagged very easily.

Jeff

4. klaatu

klaatu

I've been waiting to hear what the price of the new Kala acoustic/electric will cost. This from Kala's page on facebook.

"USA U-BASS MSRP ranges from $2299 to $2799. 4 string fretted and fretless at this point. More info coming soon."

Looks like I will not be able to buy one anytime soon so I'll be on the lookout for an acoustic/electric spruce top, probably used.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

It's 5:30 in the morning so this may not be coherent, but I doubt these will be 3 or 4 times better than the current acoustics, assuming the street price is 3 or 4 times as much. I'm sure they're great instruments and a bass is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but I can't imagine this sounding any better than a properly EQ'ed foreign made acoustic ubass. I do hope they step up their quality control standards. Lots of ubass enthusiasts know kala qc can be shoddy at best. If they ship out ~$1200 basses with low output E strings and wonky tuners or pickups, that would be very disappointing.

7. donn

donn

That could really be said of nearly anything made in the first world: cost is going to be substantially more, and functionality near the same, assuming things are managed well in both competing factories. For some people that essentially means we can't afford to make anything in the first world. Not everyone is that way, though.