New Lightweight Cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Todd Grendon, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Todd Grendon

Todd Grendon

I've been searching for the ultimate light weight 15"speaker enclosure. I finally found it and can't believe Mike Arnopol's new 15" Bassic composite cab. This thing defies gravity! At only 22 pounds it produces a seriously heavey bottom end. It has a great mid range also and is a perfect stand alone cab. When coupled with other cabs it provides that low 15" growl that is missing with cabs having multiple 10" or 12" speakers. And did I say it is loud? As a believer in not killing my back lugging heavey amps I have tried many ultra-light speaker enclosures including Epifani and Markbass. They are all good but this new addition is worth checking out. This cab accurately produces the vintage sound I'm looking for with my Fenders but is flexible enough to get what I want from a fretless 5-string.

Attached Files:

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Greenboy designed a great cab, and it very well executed by Mike in composite. Its crazy light.

Its not the speaker diameter that gives you any more low end or growl, its the total design of the cab. Greenboy has designs with 12" speakers that will go lower than the Bassic. You might like the Dually as well for that vintage vibe with more volume.
  3. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

I slept through this thread.
    Are they available commercially and if so for how much?
    22 lbs is just flat out crazy light.
  4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Interested.
  5. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    I believe that all the authorized Greenboy builders can build you one. Would expect prices to be close among the builders with the caveat that some of the composite cabs are more due to the different materials/procedures used to build them.

Gigmaster Soundworks will build you one for $750, that's not composite but Dave is a great guy to work with.
  6. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+1
    What are the cab demission’s, and what driver is in it?
  7. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

$750, Ouch - ok, thank you. :(
  8. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    For that vintage vibe in a lighter package with modern drivers, that's not a bad price tag.
  9. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Maybe, but it‘s more than I want to pay for any neo in a box. “vintage vibe” - that’s some pretty funny marketing hype, lol. Anyway, thanks for the info and I wish them luck.
  10. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    When compared to a fEarful design it could be called "vintage" sounding. The designs have very different goals. They are not supposed to sound like each other.

We use all kinds of adjectives to describe gear. One man's "warm" is anothers "muddy" . If you want more direct description of the frequency response I'm sure someone will get around to graphing it out in Greenboys site.
  11. greenboy

greenboy

Disclosures:
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Joe,

What marketing hype? I haven't made any claims one way or another up to now. I hardly post here. CL400Peavey tries to answer your questions, but he's not reading from any blurb, so why the 'tude?. If anything, he's informed by guys like johnk 10, who's remarked on this at length. If we take John's word, the bassic is capable of sounding very much like some preferred vintage 15" boxes depending on what load is chosen, and it's set up to allow framed cloth grills if desired.

The drivers are premium drivers - not cheapies chosen for maximum profit. Rather than seeing these drivers as "any neo in a box", it's a lot more accurate to think of them as really good drivers that fit the job well. It's just that they happen to be neos. As a result, between them and the enclosure design itself, they can make more SPL than ones built around some of the favored vintage loads while still copping the vibe - and they do it with a lot less weight, whether built in 1/2" plywood or composite.

Us little guys don't have the economy of scale to buy parts for huge discounts, and turn things out by the hundreds or thousands in factories here or abroad. But we do try to do things we really think are good that the big manufacturers are skipping past, and we are trying to benefit bass players. So how 'bout a little understanding?
  12. greenboy

greenboy

Disclosures:
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    BTW, here's the dimensions you asked for in graphic form:

[​IMG]
  13. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

No thanks - I think its over priced, expressly after adding shipping cost and whatnot. But I wish them luck.
  14. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Thanks greenboy, I understand and I wish you guys luck.
  15. whanbury

whanbury

The cost of having cutting edge technology is always premium at startup. It's the envisioned fortunate working musicians that take the leap and spend that premium to start bringing out the technology to the rest of the world. Then, along the way some crazy young kid working after school and weekends decides he wants one after hearing it, and works hard to save the money for it... from there, others hear the cab, and hopefully the company will start selling more, and getting breaks in buying larger inventories, and passing the savings on to the playes.
    I like this idea and would be very interested in the 12" version of this cab with a nice compact head, I don't have a need for a tweeter as I play with my fingers old school style. I can only imagine how much a 12" cab would weight :)
    Aso, no one bats an eye at the price that Markbass charges for their cabs, or GB. Why? Because they deliver the premium sound that players are looking for. I say good luck to your company, and I hope it catches on. The days of refrigerator cabinets are going the way of the dinosaurs...
  16. whanbury

whanbury

I would like to see the specs and an approximate price of a 12" cabinet, the one you said goes down very low. Thanks
  17. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    The fEARfuls are a different breed than this Bassic design. There is a lot of info on Greenboy's site including free plans for DIY, and on the forums, as well as here on TB if you do a quick search. As an example Dave at Gigmaster Soundworks built mine. I didnt have room for a DIY and Dave was great to work with in getting exactly what I wanted.

The Bassic and Dully are only offered through authorized builders, any of which will answer your questions if you contact them directly. I think they are all here and on Greenboy's forums. A list of their personal contact info is on Greenboy's site.
  18. Todd Grendon

Todd Grendon

I'm enjoying the discussion re: Ultra-Light cabs...it's about sound and practicality.
  19. Schpector

Schpector

My biggest fear with this wave of ultra-light cab popularity is that it's so difficult to reproduce big, gut-rumbling low end from such a tiny box.

I've always been a believer that the bigger, heavy-duty cabs could go lower than their ultra-light weight competitors.

I mean, the larger the box, the better the bass response, correct?
  20. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

Have you tried a Barefaced cab ?