New Mark Bass Rig - Advice

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by strikes, Dec 5, 2013.

1. strikes

strikes

Hi all! I have been reading these forums for a good while and finally need to post and ask a question. I play in a hard rock band so we are definitely pretty loud, I have had trouble even hearing myself sometimes.

I am looking at purchasing the following...

Little Mark III
    151P 1x15
    102P 2x10

I currently use a Harkte 3500 coupled with a 1x15 & 2x10 setup. Would there be any conflicting specs with the mark bass setup I am looking at or would it work and sound just fine?

My question is, with these new cabs and little mark III, will I be able to achieve the same "loudness" or preferably even louder? I really appreciate any advice in advance!

2. Russell L

Russell L

No experience with the Hrtke, so I can't comment on similarities. But I have been running a LMIII with one or two 151P cabs for a couple of years with good results. The only thing I find is that i often turn the low knob back to around 10:00 to keep from having too much deep lows. I also prefer matching cabs instead of mixing them. The 2x10 might be ok with the 115, though, dunno. But I think two of the same would be better. Don't be misled into thinking that differing cone sizes have different sounds. It's more about the overall design, cab + speaker(s). I don't care for the piezo in the 151P, but frankly I'm not looking for enough highs to make use of it since I'm running flats and going for a darker sound.

You might also consider the Randy Jackson 115 cabs. They have a compression driver instead of a piezo.

3. MotorCityWest

MotorCityWest

I gigged the same setup you are thinking about buying for two years, it sounds great. It has more watts than the Hartke, although that doesn't always equal loudness.

I ended up selling the LMIII and buying the LM Tube 800, which to my ears was considerably louder, which I bought to keep up with 2 insanely loud guitar players.

The LM Tube 800 ended up with a fried board and has been in warranty hell for the past 3-4 months, which is why I dumped all my Markbass gear.

I do miss the modularity of having the 2 different sounding cabs. I understand this is not a general rule, but these specific cabs sound different and match very well together, to my ears at least. The Markbass site suggests it as well, although that may be marketing smoke and mirrors.

I agree with Russell on the piezos. I use flats and go for a darker sound as well, so I had them turned down or off.

4. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

I rather enjoy my Jeff Berlin Combo with the NY151 extension cab.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Acquiring larger and more powerful WMDs (Weapons of Mass Distortion) can trigger an arms race. Just have your guitar players turn down. Good grief. :rollno:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

7. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I'm with Cliff, and changing up rigs won't get much louder anyway. If you can't hear 300w of 1x15 + 2x10 your guitars can surely come down some.

Do you stand the 2x10 vertically on the 15? Makes a bit of difference.

Earplugs help you hear much better in the middle of the firefight. If you don't have them in at all times you will be going deaf. Not optional.

8. strikes

strikes

I do hit a lot of highs, would just a 1x15 be able to take care of business? 151

9. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

I 'm not a trebly bass player but for my needs my Berlin combo and NY151 extension cab with the tweeter turned off provide all the highs I need with good clarity in the higher register. Try to try before you buy.