New Matchless Thunderman

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by atgronkvist, Dec 2, 2013.

1. atgronkvist

atgronkvist Supporting Member

2. jcoutu1

jcoutu1 Supporting Member

The clips on PG sound terrible.
  3. atgronkvist

Definitely want to hear more.
  4. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

cool. I'd like to see a 100 watt version.
  5. Furious_Man77

Furious_Man77 Low frequencies since 1997 Supporting Member

On my radar. As a guitar player I have had a handful of Matchless amps that were phenominal, and as a bass player had a 90's SVT and currently use a modded Mesa Buster for tubey goodness. Have never been fortunate enough to stumble on a Thunderchief or Thunderman fliptop for sale, so this new Thunderman is very intriguing.
  6. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Gold Supporting Member

The Thunderman looks similar to the Matchless Thunderbass.

Very expensive, handcrafted variants of the Ampeg B-15 ND.

Ric

Attached Files:

7. Furious_Man77

Furious_Man77 Low frequencies since 1997 Supporting Member

Just for fun I emailed Matchless about it, asking if they were available for order and if they were going to make specific cabs. Here's their reply:

Hi,

Yes, the Thunderman bass amp is in full production. We have a new website launching this Friday and we’ll have more details up soon. We are considering making a specific 1x15 speaker cabinet for it. We’ll know more in about a week.

Best regards
  8. atgronkvist

9. lexington125

lexington125

My thoughts:
    • don't bother w/ cabinets; we have enough great options out there (and most amp companies can't really match the quality of the modern cab builders)
    • instead, how about offering a 4ea KT88 version with the same basic control layout, just more power, hefty transformers, etc
    • i'll never understand what a bass player does with a presence control; i'd be happy without that and without the fx loop

We have more amp choices and options than ever before. What we don't have are a lot of locally manufactured, hand wired high quality products based around super simple features that focus on quality instead of bells & whistles. This is a great start, if they offered a big brother w/ 150 watts and endless clean headroom, the world would be an even better place.
  10. atgronkvist

45w doesn't seem like enough headroom for any mid-large size gig, but I'm optimistic and would love to drive it. Rarely am I ever not mic'd.. So hoping this might be a great option for killer tone.
  11. lexington125

lexington125

especially on stage. while even small clubs often have a decent enough PA to fill the house w/ full range sound, including the bass, many small (and not so small) clubs have on stage monitors that can handle vocals and not much more. Now that my playing is limited to the club scene, I can state pretty confidently that most places I play will require that I provide my own stage volume. In other words, I'm on my own when it comes to hearing my bass on stage among the jumble of drums, guitars and whatever else. And especially if there are two guitars, a 45 watt bass amp is going to be working hard; more so for those of us who play with no top end to help cut.
  12. Sartori

Sartori

16, 8, and 4 ohm taps seems a bit less useful for bassists than 8, 4, and 2.