1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New Member from South Africa

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by BassPlummet, Feb 10, 2014.

1. BassPlummet

BassPlummet

Greetings TalkBass Forum! I'm new to the forums and relatively new to playing Bass. I am 21 years of age and as the title states, I am from South Africa!

I started learning to play around the end of last year, October I think it was, which brings me to about 5 months. Unfortunately, because of work I have not had much time to play and thus I am nowhere near the skill level I would like to be. So I decided to join these forums in an attempt to increase my skills a little faster than doing this all on my own.

Currently I am trying to wrap my head around the theory side of things as I would like to be writing my own basslines.

Anywho! With your help, I hope to become a better bassist and make some friends along the way :)

2. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

In making bass lines - will it be A, B, C or 1, 2, 3? I think in both but the A, B, C's lead me to the 1, 2, 3's of the scale degrees I need for the chord I'm playing over. Playing from standard notation sheet music I (we) think in A, B, C's, but, playing from fake chord sheet music I see the chord as an A, B or C and then build my bass line using the R-3-5-7 spelling used for that specific C chord. Keep reading.....
    This may be confusing right now. Copy and past it somewhere you can get to later. Take it one bite at a time.
    For pure (generic) theory pick up a copy of Alfred's theory books # 1, 2 & 3. Amazon will have it, or any music store that sells pianos will have copies. It's written for piano, IMO seeing theory on a piano key board is a piece of cake as everything runs in a straight line. http://www.christianbook.com/essent...20&p=1167941&gclid=CMijyYG-wrwCFeJF7Aod7V8AxA

Knowing how to use fake chord sheet music, Bass guitar for Dummies and Ed's book I mentioned above, along with the spellings and major scale pattern I gave you, should keep you busy for six months, when you get that down and come up for air, there is more. Use Dummies for how to hold the bass, how to tune it, how to get sound and how to mute some of the sound. Dummies is a great get started book. Your public library may have a copy. If not get a paper copy, the patterns on the Kindle version are really too small to be of value.

Have fun, welcome to the forum.

3. BassPlummet

BassPlummet

Thanks MalcolmAmos! Couldn't of asked for a warmer welcome! xD

Your reply helps a lot :)